Menu

Rightstart A or B

I am trying to decide about my middle son's math choice for next year. He will be in kindergarten, turning six at the end of October. I have taken the placement test which would put him in B but...I'm still wondering.

With how much it costs, I'd love to get it right. He has been doing Singapore Earlybird this year (we've finished A and are working on B). He honestly likes it a lot, but my big issue is he has major fine motor skills issues (more than a typical 5 year old boy--he is in occupational therapy and improving). I am completely his scribe right now for Singapore. I like the lack of writing in Rightstart and the basic idea behind it.

He can count to about 50 and count by 2's and 10's. He can recognize his numbers to about 20. He understands shape and basic time. Currently in Singapore Earlybird he is starting to work on grouping into 10's and basic adding. He doesn't quite get it yet but I'm sure he will by the time we're finished. He can add or subtract easily with manipulatives but he wouldn't understand it if written out. Overall, he's "interested" in math and spends the whole day asking me, "what is 234 + 12" etc...sometimes he really makes he work!! :)

So what do you think...A or B?

Oh, and side note, my oldest does Horizons/Singapore and it works well. Could he do the Rightstart games even though he's not doing the program?

Thanks!!

Sorry, I'm only commenting on your side note. But I am pretty sure that your oldest could just use the games. I'm basing that just on posts that I've seen on the forum. Couldn't find the thread I was looking for, but here's one that mentions using the games.

Best wishes in making your choice. We are starting with RS A. We did the placement test and also were given B as the recommendation but we ended up buying A. But I won't give advice since we haven't started yet and I have no experience to offer. :001_smile:

I'd recommend starting with Level A.

Your oldest could certainly benefit from playing the RS Math Games. The bonus is that your boys, and eventually all three of your dc, will be able to play them together, so that you can have a break, if you so choose, to do whatever else. :)

ETA: Also, perhaps your dd could follow along with you and your middle ds in Level A?

Edited by CMama

I think I'm going to be different here and say start him in level B. From what I've heard others say here, B actually used to be the starting point for RS. I can't seem to find the thread that mentions this. Anyway, A is really intended for younger kids with no prior experience with math. If you son can do the things you are saying he is going to be bored with A. Everything that is covered in A is cover in B. Here is a thread that talks about that.

If you're still unsure I would look at the samples online of each.

Here's a link for A

And the link for B

HTH!

I would suggest B. We started out with A for K this year, got thru it all and started B in March. (DS is not a math genius, but I think he is pretty smart all-around:D) There were many lessons in B meant to skip if you had done A, so we did that and I expect to be half way thru B by the end of our year in a couple of weeks. DS and I have both enjoyed B more than A, but I am not sure why.

I like alot about RS, but the spiral approach annoys me (once we get rolling on a topic we switch to another), I think I will be easing into Singapore this summer and may drop RS in the Fall if we like Singapore better. I love the fact that RS does not require much writing, definitely a huge positive.

Edited to add that DS started K as a 5 year old, January bday. FWIW

My Ker turned 6 in October and we started with A even though she'd had two years of Montessori preschool and placed in B. She has not been bored. I'm glad we chose A. The abacus was new to her and I'm glad we had all year to learn how to work with it mathematically. Next year we can skip the lessons in B that are duplicates of A. I found the pace to be just right this year, and my daughter loved the games. It seems like I read somewhere that those who started in B were more likely to leave the program, but those who started in A were more likely to stick with it. It may have to do with the pacing that first year. HTH

Kathy

It seems like I read somewhere that those who started in B were more likely to leave the program, but those who started in A were more likely to stick with it.

I'd believe that, but not because B was necessarily the wrong place to start. I think a lot of bright kids start in B, do well, but then the higher levels are a disappointment because they aren't as challenging as B was. My oldest was like that. I ended up switching her to Singapore 3A after RS C because looking ahead to D & E, there seemed to be too much review and not enough new material.

I bought A to try with my DS (he turned out not to be ready for it and I switched to MEP Reception). Now that I own it, I'm more certain than ever that starting my oldest in B was the correct choice.

Thank you for all the thoughts. I'll check out the other threads/links which I'm sure will help a lot. Yes, combining my younger two was what had me leaning towards A-my dd will be 4. This particular ds gets bored easily which is what had me leaning towards B. I'll keep thinking...

I think I'm going to be different here and say start him in level B. From what I've heard others say here, B actually used to be the starting point for RS. I can't seem to find the thread that mentions this. Anyway, A is really intended for younger kids with no prior experience with math. If you son can do the things you are saying he is going to be bored with A. Everything that is covered in A is cover in B. Here is a thread that talks about that.

If you're still unsure I would look at the samples online of each.

Here's a link for A

And the link for B

HTH!

:iagree: My oldest started B at 5 1/2 after doing well with Singapore EB, and he's done fine with it. I think A would have been a lot of spinning our wheels.