Menu

Heads up! Nancy Larson Science now has K science for sale!

Halcyon

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Do you think any other levels will go on sale before August?

Do you mean Levels 4 or 5? I don't think level 4 is set to come out until later in 2012, and I have heard there will be a level 5 (and that will be their last level) but I have not heard a release date at all.

Science K is cheaper than the other levels, probably because it has only 60 lessons and does not have a review sheet book as the other levels do. It looks like a fun set of materials but I can't tell if it is worth the price tag.

Having looked at level K at a conference last week, I think it is more appropriate for a 4-5 year old than for a 5-6 year old, but that probably depends on the child. I did level 1 with a 6 y.o. and an 8y.o. and we felt it was a success for both.

Considering that all I had to supply was the colored pencils and a houseplant, I think the cost was worth it (although I did hesitate for a long time due to the price). My experience before this was with REAL Science Odyssey, which I think is a very good program but just was not happening here. I never had the stuff in the house that we needed, apparently we are not a normal household as I rarely had the items that were supposed to be common household items. I just ran out of energy, so I would frequently just read the relevant library books and skip over the hands-on parts because I didn't want to load 4 kids up in the car to run to Michael's for some random supply. What really got me on Nancy Larson was that when I looked at their website, I knew my boys would love to learn the information that was on the sample review worksheets, and I called the company to ask if everything really, truly did come in the box (it does). The customer service was great. After I got my level 1 materials I realized there was not a library reading list, so I emailed the company and asked about it and within an hour there was a book list for each chapter in my inbox. I plan to ask for one for level 2 as well, we all enjoyed the library books they recommended.

Here is how I justify the cost (keep in mind I used level 1 with two children, and I have two more coming up behind who will use it, plus any more children we may be blessed with):

1 - Even just with 2 kids, the cost is less than $150 for the year for everything. Everything!

2 - I do not have to run out for supplies.

3 - The lessons are totally open-and-go. I did not even read them beforehand. There was nothing to plan, I could just open the lesson plans and do what it said.

4 - My kids really did learn a lot! They have a new science vocabulary that they are using in their everyday lives... I love hearing them use the vocabulary they learned this year to describe what they see in the world around them.

5 - Finally, I started a science program, did every single lesson without skipping anything, and we finished that program! This is huge for me.

Considering that all I had to supply was the colored pencils and a houseplant, I think the cost was worth it (although I did hesitate for a long time due to the price). My experience before this was with REAL Science Odyssey, which I think is a very good program but just was not happening here. I never had the stuff in the house that we needed, apparently we are not a normal household as I rarely had the items that were supposed to be common household items. I just ran out of energy, so I would frequently just read the relevant library books and skip over the hands-on parts because I didn't want to load 4 kids up in the car to run to Michael's for some random supply. What really got me on Nancy Larson was that when I looked at their website, I knew my boys would love to learn the information that was on the sample review worksheets, and I called the company to ask if everything really, truly did come in the box (it does). The customer service was great. After I got my level 1 materials I realized there was not a library reading list, so I emailed the company and asked about it and within an hour there was a book list for each chapter in my inbox. I plan to ask for one for level 2 as well, we all enjoyed the library books they recommended.

Here is how I justify the cost (keep in mind I used level 1 with two children, and I have two more coming up behind who will use it, plus any more children we may be blessed with):

1 - Even just with 2 kids, the cost is less than $150 for the year for everything. Everything!

2 - I do not have to run out for supplies.

3 - The lessons are totally open-and-go. I did not even read them beforehand. There was nothing to plan, I could just open the lesson plans and do what it said.

4 - My kids really did learn a lot! They have a new science vocabulary that they are using in their everyday lives... I love hearing them use the vocabulary they learned this year to describe what they see in the world around them.

5 - Finally, I started a science program, did every single lesson without skipping anything, and we finished that program! This is huge for me.

this sounds great!