Menu

K-3 programs/books for art and music history

hollyh

Homeschool in the Woods sells a nice CD with printouts.

Beautiful Feet has some music books listed that are great for young children (that can be purchased anywhere).

This book is fantastic: http://www.amazon.com/Discovering-Great-Artists-Hands-Children/dp/0935607099

I really like this series: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=smart+about+art&x=0&y=0

I have used the artist and composer schedules at amblesideonline.org. There are yahoo groups you can join to order the prints or print them up yourself, to do picture study.

For art, we love the Come Look With Me series, like Animals in Art and World of Play. We are also enjoying Artistic Pursuits, which incorporates appreciation along with projects. I'm also not remotely crafty, so I liked having Art For All Seasons.

For music, we love Marjorie Kiel Persons' Themes to Remember. Each book has the lyrics as well as some information on the composer and the piece. The lyrics include the name of the piece and the composer (so, for Vivaldi's "Spring," the words say something like, "Springtime's the best time of year! This music is by Vivaldi! and so forth). They are only snippets of the piece, but the included CDs have each snippet with lyrics and without.

We checked out every artist book by Mike Venezia in our public library. His books are really kid-friendly...down to the artist license he uses with his comic strips about interesting events in the artist's life. Preview them...a few are going to be dark and twisty, like Frank Goya.

My daughter absolutely loves Beethoven's Wig too. We will play a song there, and then find the original to listen too. She's been getting really good about picking out the composers just from listening to Beeth's Wig over and over.

And truely, when you have a child begging to listen to classical music...life is good, eh? :D

For art, we love the Come Look With Me series, like Animals in Art and World of Play. We are also enjoying Artistic Pursuits, which incorporates appreciation along with projects. I'm also not remotely crafty, so I liked having Art For All Seasons.

We have the Come Look With Me series, too. Glad to hear you like it, as we will be using it. We are going to try Artistic Pursuits, too.

For music, we've been using Classics for Kids. We have this Leonard Bernstein CD, Story of the Orchestra (for older kids, grades 3+), and we listen to this free program on a classical station, too.

:bigear: for more ideas, too!