Menu

English for Science focused student

I've been going back and forth on English, more specifically Literature for awhile now.

My future plans are science related. I'll be taking Advanced Chemistry at home, hopefully Calculus at CC in the Fall, and Anatomy and Physiology at CC from July-August. I'll be taking another math or science course in the Spring at CC.

I have History figured out (Steck-Vaughn American Government and an Economics course, but I can't remember the name).

I need something that is good enough for 1 credit but that also won't take more than 1 hour a day (not including reading).

I've looked at Hewitt's British Literature, Lightning Literature, Learning Language Arts Through Literature and there is one more but the name slips my mind. It is similar to Lightning Lit. and LLATL. I was also considering putting together my own Great Books course but that didn't go too well this year :lol:

Any suggestions? I don't have anyone to discuss literature with IRL, and while my mother can grade my papers, that doesn't always happen consistently.....

Thanks!

If you want to do something that doesn't involve literature, my son is going to be doing a course next year modeled on the AP English Language and Composition course. He will be using The Language of Composition (Bedford St. Martin's) as the core text. Instead of reading literature and doing literary analysis (something he doesn't particularly enjoy), he will be reading mostly nonfiction and exploring several ideas such as education, popular culture, science and technology, nature, and politics.

If you want to do literature, another book I'd recommend looking as as a core text is Literature and Composition (Bedford St. Martin's). It is by the same authors as the other one I mentioned and has a similar format. It is intended to be used as the core text for AP Literature and Composition.

Stephanie, I think Lori D. put together a science fiction course that looked great that may fit your needs. If it wasn't Lori, she will probably know which list I mean. Also, check with JennW. in SoCal because she has some interesting, off-beat suggestions as well. And I mean that in the best possible way.:D

I second Kai suggestion about taking more of a language and composition approach. That kind of broad non-fiction reading designed to help a student discover the argument mad in a piece of writing will serve you well as a science major.

You can see sample syllabi on the college board here. They should give you an idea whether that appeals to you more.

Many (most?) AP English Language and Composition instructors have students continue to read literature over the year, but more at a book group level of discussion than heavy duty literary analysis.

fwiw both my dds have said that this has been their most helpful high school level English course by far.

HTH

~Moira