Menu

Right Start users: if you've done B, then switched, why?

Catherine

Well I used RS through level D, but it's not the only way to do math. Figure out what he's not liking, and if the reasons seem strong enough, switch. He may want something he can do more independently, or materials with more color, or who knows what. That's fine! Get him a curriculum that fits him and use the Activities for the ALAbacus book to continue to present concepts the RS way. That way you get what you think is important and he gets a format that fits him. Don't sweat it. The key is to pick a curriculum and stick with it.

Any thoughts on why he's not liking it? We could suggest what might work instead. Or it might be you could change the way you're teaching the RS material to see if that helps. Or maybe he needs supplements (SM CWP, Primary Challenge Math by Zaccaro, etc.). Does he seem to be understanding the material, or are you getting lots of deer in the headlight looks?

example-when we do the warmups, and I ask him the two-digit addition problems, he often moans, or if he does them (he knows how) it takes him a long time to come up with the answer, or I need to remind him how to do it. It's hard for me to say why it's difficult-it just seems to take him a long time. When we do worksheets, I sit right with him, and prompt as needed, but he still makes careless errors or guesses, with guesses that make NO sense-like what is 3+3---67??? He actually said this last week. I know he KNOWS what 3=3 is, and on good days, we have no problems, except that he takes forever to do things. I've done my best to keep the lessons short, play the games often, slow down, but it hasn't helped very much. The slower I go, the slower he gets.

I do know that he does not picture the abacus when solving problems, and hates it when I get it out, and I think he just relies on memory, or counts silently. Despite my efforts, he still counts. Visualizing doesn't appear to be useful to him.

How's that for a jumbled response??

DD chafed at RightStart's teacher led nature and her complete lack of control, and she didn't need the level of scaffolding Right Start provides. She switched not quite halfway through Level C and we haven't looked back.

Well Catherine, it could be an immaturity thing (is he young? He might not be ready to do all that thought.). It could be a laziness thing. (takes EFFORT to think through things the way RS wants) It sounds like there's also a personality/control thing going on. He really might be one of those who is happier with a workbook where you hand it to him and leave it alone (think Horizons). I'd try it and see what happens. Horizons is inexpensive ($7 for a 1 semester workbook? I forget), and if it solves your problem, it solves it. Some kids just want to be more independent and in control.

I think the scaffolding the other poster referred to is just the amount of explanations. Some kids leap to the end faster and find the lessons redundant.

It's ok to take a month, try a couple things, then make a decision. Don't burn your bridges, just try a few things. I'd suggest Horizons, because it would be the total opposite of what you're doing now (colorful, independent, lots of practice). And I'd go into a book that would be on the EASY side for him to build his confidence and speed. Then see where you're at. He may be placed too high in RS frankly, especially if he's young. Did you ever do level A? I know some people say it's not necessary, but I think it's a fabulous level. Level B gets so challenging so fast, it's really nice to have a level that is just fun and builds that foundation. For a young 1st grader, especially a boy, it really could be a time/maturity/readiness thing. 6 months or a year from now he might have a totally difference response and interaction with those warm-ups. The personality won't change, but his readiness to do what's asked of him would, kwim? Remember if you put him into something like Horizons and he thrives on it, you can always bringing in your RS manipulatives (base 10 picture cards, place value cards, etc.) to explain things.

BTW, are you doing math first thing in the morning? You want to pick his best time for best results. If my dd is tired, has been doing lots of other things, needs a snack, or whatever, I get that kind of response too. And sometimes it's that they're fighting a bug and getting ready to get sick and you don't realize it. Then a couple days later they get fully sick and you realize duh, that's what was causing it. But when you're in the moment, it seems interminable, kwim? :)

What is scaffolding?
The support and hand holding given when introducing and reinforcing new concepts. For example, in Level B RS spread four digit addition on paper over three or four days, but DD had already made the logical jump by the time we'd started it. This isn't the best example, because they were consecutive days and easy to compact. With Singapore, she can zip through the text in minutes and try her hand at some problems.

My older one did B through half of E, and went to CLE Math because he needed a more independent program (mom-boy issues). I liked it so well, that I switched my younger one after B. She had used B very slowly for K and 1st.

I loved RightStart, but the mom-intense part of it made it a problem for my older one as he matured, and I needed to have my younger one work more independently. RightStart gave both of them such a good foundation in place value and basic mathematical operations. I have no regrets about it, it was just time to move on.