Menu

Saxon Homeschool packet vs solutions manual

I have a 3rd Ed algebra 1 set with the "Homeschool packet". Do I need the solutions manual? Looks like this just has answers to tests and problem sets? I have the text, dive cd, tests and this packet. I used Saxon this year but had a solutions guide. Thanks

It depends, really. Do you know algebra to be able to explain how to get the answers? I can, for up to Algebra. But once we hit geometry, I need the solutions manual. DH could explain it, but he's not here during the day.

So, if you can explain how to get the answer, no. If you need help on how to get the answer, yes.

I can, for up to Algebra. But once we hit geometry, I need the solutions manual.

So, if you can explain how to get the answer, no. If you need help on how to get the answer, yes.

I agree. And I can say for Algebra 2 and Advanced Math, the solutions manual is a must for a non-math major like me. I need to see it worked step by step in order to help my daughter see her mistake. I often need it to help me figure it out!:tongue_smilie:

I've taught math at the college level, and I need a Solutions Manual for Algebra II and up.

We're doing OK with Algebra I with the Homeschool Packet, but I don't want to spend more time than I have to, so I'm going to buy the Solutions Guide for Algebra II when the time comes.

And no, DIVE doesn't give the answers to every question. It is just a short lecture (usually 5-6 minutes) on the new topic.

Teaching Tapes does that though, but you pay for it. DIVE is $50 and Teaching Tapes runs $250 or so.

Thanks again for the comments. I ordered it this morning used from

Amazon. I'd rather have it in case I get stumped. It's been 27 years (groan) since I had college math! I've recalled a lot in prealgebra but would feel better having it.