Menu

episiotomy question

I've had 5 babies naturally. Largest head was 14 3/4, smallest was 14, the other 3 were 14 .25. Weight ranged from just over 7# to 9 1/2 pounds.

I've had one tear, during my first delivery -- because he arrived with his hand up on his face, turning his elbow into a little razor blade. I did not require stitches.

With my last three, I didn't even push their heads out, I panted through my body doing the work, and then pushed the rest of their body out.

My longest delivery time was 10 hrs. and shortest was 90 minutes from start to finish.

All the research I have read, indicates that the only time that a cut might be warranted would be in the case of a forceps or vacuum deliver (to widen the entrance). It definitely does not prevent a tear. This isn't new information either. I remember reading a news report that came out at least 15 years ago saying this was the case and there have been several since.

All the research I have read, indicates that the only time that a cut might be warranted would be in the case of a forceps or vacuum deliver (to widen the entrance). It definitely does not prevent a tear. This isn't new information either. I remember reading a news report that came out at least 15 years ago saying this was the case and there have been several since.

There has never been any evidence that episiotmy is less damaging than natural tearing. It became routine when women were knocked out for the birth and forceps were used to pull the babies out. Doctors kept doing it because it's what they were taught. They started spouting BS about it being better than tearing, but they had no evidence to suggest this. There are benefits to doctors, though: less time waiting for the baby to come out and another procedure to bill. :glare:

I have only had one friend who had an episi. and her doctor told her she was too thick to stretch so he put a little cut in. She ended up with a 4th degree tear into her rectum, stitches that kept tearing out and getting infected. It was a nightmare. She checked after and this dr. is known for telling women they are too "thick" and cutting and using extraction methods. He also told her because her body didn't work properly (i.e. the tear) that she would have to forever more have c-sections. She refuses to get pregnant ever again because it was so horrible.

I had a small tear with DS7 but nothing after him - the midwife told me that everything was looking great but he lifted his head right as he came out and tore me with his chin....little bugger.

With my first pregnancy, I tore A LOT, tons of stitches, and recovery took a long time. With my 2nd pregnancy, my OB (who I love), really worked on stretching the area, but she felt that I was still probably going to tear and offered the choice of having an episiotomy or not, and I opted to do it. I had no further tearing and recovery was great. I honestly don't remember what happened with my 3rd! :tongue_smilie: I think I'll have to ask DH later because he tends to remember those things. Good luck making your decision!

Yes. All of the scientific information agrees. Also, with some breech births.

I have had 5 vag births. Never a tear or episiotomy. Even as a tiny 17 yo with an 8+ lb. baby, I did not need one. A lot of it seems to be: genetics, nutrition, and birthing position. Lithotomy increases your chances of "needing" one. Perineal massage during labor/pushing really helps, as does avoiding blue pushing. With my first, they insisted I needed one. They went so far as to give me the shot to numb me, even though I expressly forbade it when asked. My mother saw and made them stop. Within 2 minutes, my dd was out without a tear. Only "skid marks". :lol: I'm so glad I didn't get one! My 4th was posterior and had an over 15" head. Still not even a tear.

If you are looking to minimize trauma to you perineal area then you should push only when you feel the urge, not sustained/directed pushing, and choose a position(s) for birthing which are well suited to birthing, which would be almost anything other than on your back.
This is good to know. After 11 hours of labor bouncing on a birth ball with no progress I got the epidural. I was able to sleep for 10 hours before pushing... and I had an episiotomy. I would say that was worth it.

All three of mine were born 4-6 weeks early and were small, so that means my opinion has to be taken with a grain of salt. :)

I had 1 stitch with my first birth and none with the 2nd and 3rd. If I had episiotomies, I would have had to heal from those no matter what. There's always a chance you won't tear, especially if you have a doctor or midwife who takes their time and eases the baby out. My doctor with my 2nd child massaged the perineal area and told me when to push and when to wait, and I didn't tear at all. My doc with baby 3 did the same.

That said, I had a friend who delivered a nearly 10 lb. baby vaginally and tore all the way down. At the time, she was so traumatized by it that she swore she wouldn't have any more kids. She did, but she waited about 8 years before she tried to get pregnant again.