Menu

6th grader

hsmykids

Oak Meadow. I loved Oak Meadow for 4th grade and 5th grade so we're continuing with it for 6th.

We'll be doing Teaching Textbooks math again because it was such a huge hit here this past year and very successful for us. We may do that 4X a week and Life of Fred 1X a week.

We'll also be adding on a couple of other things- Meet The Masters for Art and a free online health curriculum for example, but Oak Meadow is our main thing for English/Language Arts/Science/Social Studies. There's lots of integration, hands on stuff, non-textbookish material, interesting choices of discussion and writing assignments and reading material... we really like it.

Can you tell me how Oak Meadow works for your family? Also, about how many hours a day do you spend schooling?

If you check out my blog (see link in signature), it's a day to day account of how our days go, some pics, etc. There are also links on the sidebar to the left that have more detailed reviews (including of Oak Meadow), sample schedules (of how we took a weekly OM lesson and broke it down into a daily one), a link that shows some of the more interesting activities and assignments we've done, standardized test results, and so on.

This year for 5th grade school takes us 3-4 hours a day, and that's with a little bit of supplementing. Like, we do extra reading every day, we added on "Sentence Composing For Elementary School" to see how we'd like it (and usually do a lesson per day of that), we decided on a different math curriculum as I'd already mentioned. But just Oak Meadow could easily be done within 3 hours a day most of the time at this stage of things.

I'd be happy to try to answer any other questions, I really do love the whole OM philosophy and creativity and so on!

We'll be using Oak Meadow too!

We took the plunge after researching forever....thanks to Nance for some great reading on her blog!

It should be coming in the mail soon, so once we have a hands-on look at it we will be able to see where 6th grade is going in September!

We are really excited over here!

My son will be 5th/6th next year. We are planning to do CC memory work, Math Mammoth, All About Spelling, Easy Grammar, IEW, Apologia Science, English from the Roots Up and daily Bible and devo. Supplemented reading will correspond with the CC memory work. I'm excited!

Sixth Grade:

Writing - IEW's TWSS, outlines, written narrations, etc.

IEW - Speech Bootcamp

TT - Math 7

History - Ana's plan, there is a link below

Literature - the same as history

Science - He's just reading along with Ana on Biology and doing co-op science

Vocabulary - Vocabulary from the Classical Roots - we're just picking this up.

Spelling - Phonetic Zoo, but I'm not happy about it. I have a hard time being consistent. We're switching to Rod & Staff Spelling AND Sequential Spelling