Menu

High School credits

hsmykids

I'm not sure what you're looking for here. Can you clarify?

Are you looking for programs that are high school level to use with an 8th grader that you can give high school credit for?

Or are you looking for an accredited high school program to do that will automatically give your kids high school credit?

Generally the only things you take in 8th grade that you might get high school credit for are biology, chemistry, physics, and Algebra I. Note that colleges are now expecting most of their applicants to have 4 years of English, science, math, and history/social studies along with 2-3 years of a single foreign language (3 is preferred). If you do Algebra I in 8th grade, they still expect to see an additional 4 years of math on top of that. If you do a high school science in 8th grade that you give credit for, they still expect to see an additional 4 years of science on top of that.

If you have a kid that is going to be in 9th grade next year and you're just looking for high school materials, you might want to copy your post on the high school board. Since you put this post on the K-8 board, I figured that you're actually asking about high school credits in middle school.

Do you mean like a charter school? They would be the only ones that could technically give you credits.

Otherwise, you can assign credits to their classwork depending on amount of work and time they work on it.

Many programs will say a specific course is worth x credits though.

Remember, many collages will only accept credits from "the last 4 yrs of study" so you have to check out the requirements for each place you're interested in.

I think what you're actually looking for is a program that will provide your kids with a diploma rather than you making one of your own.

You might want to look into Oak Meadow with teacher service or Keystone (now has high school and middle school) or K-12. You could even look into the virtual charter schools or something like Texas Tech ISD or University of Texas ISD (or whatever there is in your state).

I know that New York has some special rules regarding homeschool. In Texas, my home is a private school and I have complete freedom to decide credits on my own.

You might want to make a new post with "New York homeschool for high school questions" as the subject. I would still recommend posting it on the high school board.

They are only in 6th grade but he wants a a program that will eventually give them credits towards a hs diploma. Is that asking too much?

Most states will only count credits earned while in high school, or as Angie stated above are clearly and traditionally high school courses such as Algebra 1 and higher for math and Biology and above for science. So if you have a math master and are doing Alg 1 in 7th grade, it really doesn't matter what publisher/curriculum you use, as long as the publisher describes it as a high school course.

Hope that helps!

Some thoughts.

You usually give high school credits between 9th and 12th grade. A credit is a carnegie unit and between 120-160 hours of work. You can count the hours a number of different ways (there's several threads about this on the h.s. board. I also recommend Barb Shelton's Home School Design Form -u-la to really figure out how to create classes, count credit).

Most folks go with a standard course of study for h.s. You can get a college prep course of study or a vocational course of study. The vocational course of study will have less credit hours of academics and more "electives." You can find them on-line.

Most colleges these days are really interested in test scores. SAT for ivy's and ACT's for everyone else (generally). They'll require transcripts and want essays, etc. It's not hard to accepted into college. The difficult thing is scoring enough financial aid that your kid isn't ruined for life by student loans. That's where the test scores come in big time. If they want to do an academy or an Ivy you should start figuring out NOW what they require because they are demanding (but come with big dividends if you are looking at it simply from a $/career pov).

Umbrella schools will take care of telling you want you need to take, figure your transcript, etc. They cost $ for soemthing you can easily do yourself.

Is your dh worried about not getting enough credits for h.s, that they won't "count?" that your kid won't get in to college?