Menu

Can I use Goat's Milk Instead of Cow's Milk

You could, but I wouldn't! That's just me and I'm one nay sayer compared to the rest. But, here's my reasoning..

Both dh and I grew up on goat farms. Both families had an unreal supply of goat milk. Both Mum's felt the need to use the milk and not spoil it. And for the record our parents didn't meet until 1 week before our wedding. Seriously.

Anyway, my mother decided to make some lovely maccaroni and cheese. It smelled so gross we came in from outside with shirts pulled up over our faces to see what on earth was going on. Ever smelled a male goat letting off his natural musk to make the girls think he's awesome? Yeah, well it smelled like that. It was not pretty, and it tasted just as foul.

That said, she baked it in the oven not on the stove top. Perhaps that's the difference because I do recall someone making hot cocoa with it once and it wasn't super stinky but the flavor was far more distinct {goat milk wise} then milk normally tastes.

My, now, mil attempted a baked cheesecake and her family responded in the same manner. :lol: To this day her family won't let her live down the cheesecake, and my family won't let Mum live down the mac-n-cheese. Thus, I'm rather hesitant to use goats milk in heated fashion. ;)

Again, these were baked items not stove top style items and I suspect there's a huge difference. My family use to make fudge using goat's milk and never had trouble with it tasting off or funny. We made the hot cocoa, and I'm sure it was used in other things too. However, that baked pot of mac-n-cheese is far more vivid then the gentler items. ;)

Like it is beginning to be dandelion season - always gave our milk a hint of golden color - but that didn't change the taste. Boy did cantaloupe make it go off taste, though! Even the animal's living conditions can sometimes taint the flavor. If you have gotten milk from this farm before and it tasted fine, chances are, it will continue to ( until maybe breeding season). Try and see, i think you'll be fine.

Like it is beginning to be dandelion season - always gave our milk a hint of golden color - but that didn't change the taste. Boy did cantaloupe make it go off taste, though! Even the animal's living conditions can sometimes taint the flavor. If you have gotten milk from this farm before and it tasted fine, chances are, it will continue to ( until maybe breeding season). Try and see, i think you'll be fine.

And Chives!! Oh my heavens it even smells funky when they get into chives!!