Menu

Ultimate Geography & timeline...how do you use this??

I posted below about Galloping the Globe and it got me to thinking that I really should ask ya'll how you use The Ultimate Geography & Timeline book. I've already got that on my shelves and was just totally overwhelmed when I looked at it. It might help me put it to practice (instead of scrapping it altogether) if I knew how others were using it.

At first glance it seems like it needs an awful lot of teacher prep (deciding what activities, books for each culture/country, etc...) Am I wrong?

How do you use it in your homeschooling?

Thanks!

Angela

I copied the timeline papers, and we've been using them to make our own Book of the Centuries. The blackline masters of maps have been used when doing unit studies, or country studies, mapping explorer's routes, etc. We also used the worksheets for weather when we did a Kids Weather Watch science unit (I videoed them as Weather Channel hosts :) And the plain old geography terms were helpful when explaining maps and globes to the kids. It's been a long time since I've used it, and regret that I never got around to the Hans Brinker unit.

Chris

Just chiming in to say that I'm glad I'm not alone. I think there's some great information in that book, but have to agree that it's just not user friendly, and my copy just sits as well. I did notice that the last time I picked it up and looked through it, I felt less overwhelmed, but still didn't have a clear picture of how best to easily implement it.

I also have this book and was wondering how others were using it. I personally like that it is not open and go. This way I can use it to fit my needs. I just love all the info in it. Now I just need to get it worked into our studies.

Guest jtsivak

I also had this book on the shelf for a long time. Then I was on their website (geograpohy matters), hoping to get some help and found Trail Guides. They have them for US and World. I bought the World one as well as Geography through Art and we LOVE them. They also sell a CD that has all the pages you need for Trail Guide book by level. The book is nonconsumable, but there might be a workbook -- I prefer to print out what I want.

Basically, the Trail Guides - World book goes through 2 weeks of world geopgraphy and then by continent/ country in week increments, some continent taking up 5-6 weeks, others more or less. It references TUG and G thru Art for each week, but you don't have to have those books. They also give you mapping activities, cultural activities, etc. It is very inclusive. I like comparing current boundaries with ancient ones, as well as how the culture today reflects ancient history from that area.

I had no geography education and was determined to be sure my boys did.

BTW -- EnchantedLearning.com has excellent resources for mapping and labeling -- $20 a year -- I use lots of excellent supplements from there with geography like a sheet that explains the names of the parts of a flag (we do a flag for each country), etc.

Also, can't wait for the Olympics to tie in with all the geogrpahy we're studying.

Tracy in Va.

I have to say that I have this book...someone gave it to me. I've been picking it up alot these past few months. I've been thinking of using this with 9th grade but not sure how to go about it. I might give it to my dd's math tutor who is also our evaluator and was a teacher for over 30 years (also a wonderful friend). If anyone can do something with this she should be able to. :)