Menu

Advice needed for preparing food in advance

What kinds of food would you have prepared in advance (i.e.: frozen) for a coming baby? Keep in mind that it's mid-May so you aren't going to want to have the oven on, but you also know that preparing foods fresh are going to be very difficult to do for awhile. What would you freeze? Or, what would you for sure have a lot of on hand to make anything fast and easy?

So far I have pasta primavera frozen, a couple of homemade pizzas, some blueberry muffins and pancakes, LOL. It's just not a lot. I also don't have hardly anything on hand either. I don't have *any* meat- chicken or beef. It's possible that I will be able to make it to the local grass-fed farm to get some meat this week - maybe Wed.(if the baby hasn't come by then) and there will be our Farmer's Market open for the first time this Wed. also - but what could I stock up on and freeze from that? I have no idea what they'll be carrying this time of the year. Would it be better to have indiv. items frozen that can be thawed and we just do a lot of grilling?

I know that my mom and dad are coming, but not for at least a week after the baby arrives and even then I don't know how long they're staying, nor do they. I know that my mom loaded up on Salmon from my brother's store (he's in the seafood business) to bring us. I do have a large group at church who will be bringing us meals whenever I say the word, but I don't want to depend too much on that - mainly because I'm not sure what kinds of food it's going to be - loaded with Velveeta or hormone/antibiotic laden beef/chicken? No veggies? I have no idea. Also, my dh doesn't cook. Well, not beyond spaghetti or mac and cheese from a box anyway, but he could grill.

So tell me what you would do - what you would make sure you were stocked in abundance with and what would be frozen. The healthier the better.;)

Thank you soooo much!

I try to freeze the main dish, add frozen vegies and salad. Also freeze individual servings because you'll need/want healthy snacks between meals.

Rice - I cooked it with onions and froze it to be microwaved when I had no time

Meatballs - They freeze easily and you can pull out however many you want. Cook them all the way before freezing and you can microwave.

Casseroles - in spite of needing oven. Serve with salad

Meat, in a baggie with marinade. Let thaw and grill

Pre cook meat in slices or diced for more substantial salads

Stir-fry - cook and freeze, microwave and serve over the rice.

Bags of frozen vegies.

The Farmer's Market here has nothing freezable - mostly greens and starter plants.

FWIW, I think shopping may be a priority over preparing/freezing right now.

It never hurts to freeze browned and seasoned ground beef. It is so versatilve and can be thrown into the crockpot w/ a can of beans, a can of crushed tomatoes, a can of green chilis, spices, and pinto or black beans.

We eat a lot of beans and rice, and I will often cook a lot of beans in the crockpot and then put them in gallon-sized Ziploc bags and freeze. You could also freeze beans and rice in a bag. This is so good on salads in the summer! I top ours w/ sliced green onions, fresh tomatoes, and other toppings.

If you like meatloaf, you can pre-mix and shape the loaves and freeze them raw. You will then only have to throw the frozen loaf into the crockpot to cook all day. (Don't forget you can put your crockpot outside the house for hot summer day cooking...if you are fortunate to have an outlet outside the house, or better yet, in the garage.)

How about flatbreads and loaves of bread dough, if you make your own bread? Uncooked raw loaves can be wrapped in plastic wrap and then placed into Ziploc bags for the freezer. If you put the frozen loaf into a prepared breadpan before bed at night, you will get up in the morning to find an oven-ready loaf (that is if you don't sleep more than 7 or 8 hours during the evening and if the room temp isn't too high for the thawing.

Blessings,

Camy

by making a couple of meat loafs, and a big pot of chili. They can be easily frozen and reheated. The chili I like to make nachos with, just put the chili over a bag of tortilla chips, add cheese and bake. Then when it's all bubbly, take it out of the oven and add chopped lettuce, olives, tomatoes, and sour cream. Very easy dinner. Of course you can do the same thing if you have some cans of chili on hand.

Meat loaf, well I don't make it very often but dh loves it and it makes good sandwiches for leftovers.

I also buy roasted chickens and make several meals from them but it is fairly time-intensive (I use as much of the meat as possible then make broth with the bones, good base for other soups).

Honestly if I were in your shoes with the baby about to come I would get a bunch of pre-frozen things like mac'n'chese and lasagne, jars of spaghetti sauce and boxes of pasta. Then I'd put my feet up. Can any of your friends help you out?

(((Hugs))) Hang in there!

Leeanne Ely has some at least one grilling recipe booklet available. I often take her ideas and heat them in a skillet rather than putting them in the oven. It's too hot here to put much of anything in the oven these days. I also convert her recipes to the crockpot. Or, Leanne has a crockpot mailer, I think.

I rely a lot on other people's menus. LOL

enchilada, lasagna, manacotti, chicken, brocoli and rice, soups, chili, etc.

As far as the church helping, it is hard when you don't eat like other people, but, I think it does two things to accept these gifts-- it teaches everyone to be thankful for brothers and sisters who are willing to serve, and it gives others a place to help who truly want to. We eat a lot like you, so sometimes it is hard to accept food from others who don't eat healthfully, but it has taught me to be thankful. And, the few meals that it will be will not make a dent in your overall health.

Would it be better to have indiv. items frozen that can be thawed and we just do a lot of grilling?

Also, my dh doesn't cook. Well, not beyond spaghetti or mac and cheese from a box anyway, but he could grill.

So tell me what you would do - what you would make sure you were stocked in abundance with and what would be frozen. The healthier the better.;)

Thank you soooo much!

I would let hubby grill. He could purchase salad fixings (in the bag if you don't mind) and have salad and grilled meat for dinner. He could always grill a bunch of things that you could reheat during the week.

I find cooking extra when I do cook, usually on the weekends helps a lot. I just reheat during the week. Have fresh wash and cut veggies on hand helps too (kids and hubby can help here). My kids will eat peanut butter or cheese and fresh veggies for many meals.