Menu

Kindergarten level comprehension?

warriormom

Today, my son took the Gesell test for private school admission at their half-day kindergarten. The tester did mention to me that I need to work on his comprehension. She said that I need to ask more questions while reading.

Currently, we are reading "The Children's Book of Values" (and discussing), Bible, "Peter Pan" (explaining and discussing), Dinosaur book (reading to him since it is an interest and listening to "Little Bear" and Beatrix Potter books in the car.

Do you have any suggestions on what I should do? I am new to all of this. I am just not sure what level of comprehension is acceptable for kindergarten readiness. Resources? Articles? Advice? BTW, the K is a Classical Christian school.

I have a five almost six year old. When I read to him, I can ask him questions all day long about what I read, and all I will get is 'I don't know', or better yet, he makes something up out of complete left field. But at times I will catch him acting out what has been read to him, directing his sisters to act according to what we read, etc.

How did the tester test his comprehension?

Would FLL help with comprehension?

Not particularly, but WWE certainly would. Also, SOTW is broken down into sections that have specific questions in the Activity Guide. When we were really working on comprehension, I would have DS listen to the SOTW CD and stop it at different sections so he only had to answer two or three questions and then continue. At the end of the selection, I would review all the comprehension questions. Going from the part to whole really helped him.

There is a list on Idea Chain's page about comprehension - forming images of what is being read/heard (the gestalt). My son did not comprehend or read because he was very concrete and didn't 'see' images in his mind, he could not follow a story. We used Visualizing and Verbalizing, which is less expensive than Idea Chain but has fewer teacher helps. Your son may not need something as comprehensive as V/V, but I wanted to mention it to you.

Oh, and on the V/V website there are samples of the stories they use (like this page - click on "View Larger Images" on the right). You could try a few of those with him as your own little test.