Menu

Anyone with SID w/o delays

Does anyone have a kid with SID and nothing else?

I have one kid w/ mild Asp, lots of ADD like behaviors and he had some delays...he received minimal OT. So I am familiar with this stuff. However, it is a different son that has always had much worse sensory issues but nothing else going on. Last time it became a huge problem, he was 4yrs old and they eventually found some underlying health issues that were causing discomfort. He is now 8. Perhaps now it is his allergies, for which he is being treated anyhow. Or it could be something we can't figure out...he's just so sensitive.

Anyhow, my question is...what do you do with a kid like this? Can you actually qualify for OT with no delays and no diagnosis beyond SID? I'm ready to pull my hair out. His behavior has changed dramatically over the last 3 months and I just can't figure it out.

Here are his symptoms: newly diagnosed TMJ (but the dentist says his jaw and bite seem perfect and suspects anxiety as the cause), headaches when he looks at light (not consistently), and typical sensory things that have always been a problem but are escalating: crying over things like straps touching him, socks with a stray string, etc...Oh yes - and a huge escalation in his fear of spiders. :glare:

Brownie

My son had big sensory issues until he went thru vision therapy. He was very sensitive to textures, foods, food temperatures, sounds... tothe point he was refusing to participate in favorite activities. We had done OT but not made much sensory progress. We actually began VT for vision issues that were interfering with reading. The very big, very unexpected side effect was that the other sensory issues have pretty much disappeared. It seems that his brain was just so overwhelmed with the crazy misinformation from the eyes that it went into overdrive with the other sensory input it was receiving. Check out www.covd.org for more signs and symptoms of vision issues.

Thanks but unfortunately that's unlikely. I'm familiar with vision therapy...my other son was evaluated and barely qualified. We have a dear friend who went through the therapy as well. My 8 year old loves to read...reads upwards of 2000 pages a week. His vision was just checked and is 20/20. About the only thing negative I could say about him academically is that I don't like his handwriting and he doesn't like to write...but then he is a 2nd grade boy. Brownie

Yes, but she didn't qualify for services. My DD is "borderline" SID, doesn't qualify for Aspergers, and basically we were told that this was expected because she was gifted (gee, thanks). However, our insurance did pay for two follow up visits with an OT, who was able to give us some suggestions and things to do at home, which has helped. Our pediatrician has also said that she can do a new referral for an OT for a re-eval every 3 years or so as long as DD still has some sensory symptoms, which will, again, pay for a few sessions to get some advise.

The Sensory Processing Disorder Foundation is fighting to get SPD into the DSM-V. For those who don't know what it is, it's basically the big book of everything and anything that's wrong with people. If it's not in there, insurance companies don't cover it. My son was first diagnosed with sensory issues and insurance wouldn't cover it, but once he was diagnosed with PDD-NOS insurance started covering OT.

It depends on what you mean by "qualify for OT." Sure, you can arrange for OT. It's just that you'd have to pay out of pocket for it (BTDT). OT for SPD is not something I'd trust to, for example, the school district OTs - usually it's outside their scope.