Menu

Laser Printers

After yet another losing battle with my existing ink jet printer (grrr), I'm thinking it's time to get a laser. First of all, I'm shocked at how inexpensive these things have become! Obviously the market has shifted a lot since the last time I went printer shopping!

I'm considering the Brother Printer HL2270DW. Biggest pluses for me are that it is wireless and prints in duplex. It's monochrome, but I never even stock the colour cartridge in my inkjet, so I'm thinking that doesn't matter much to me. (If anyone wants to convince me I'm wrong and point me toward a good laser that also does colour, please feel free!)

Has anyone tried this printer and able to comment on it? Or do you have another model (at a similar price point) that you prefer?

We have two of these brother printers and I got my mother one-

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2140-Personal-Laser-Printer/dp/B0010Z1W06/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1303781584&sr=1-1

Love love love! They are workhorses. I had my last one for years till it needed some expensive part to fix.

I paid around $100 for mine (amazon puts them on sale periodically).

LOVE my brother MVC-9320cw - we had another brother black and white that I used for years, and I never missed the color - we still have it, its just been moved to my husband's basement office - I wanted something with wireless capabilities, and decided to go with color. I'm glad I did, but seriously, was fine with monochrome for years. In fact, I think my oldest daughter has that printer that was linked to in the OP, and she and her family love it. I just needed the scanner/copier, etc.

After yet another losing battle with my existing ink jet printer (grrr), I'm thinking it's time to get a laser. First of all, I'm shocked at how inexpensive these things have become! Obviously the market has shifted a lot since the last time I went printer shopping!

I'm considering the Brother Printer HL2270DW. Biggest pluses for me are that it is wireless and prints in duplex. It's monochrome, but I never even stock the colour cartridge in my inkjet, so I'm thinking that doesn't matter much to me. (If anyone wants to convince me I'm wrong and point me toward a good laser that also does colour, please feel free!)

Has anyone tried this printer and able to comment on it? Or do you have another model (at a similar price point) that you prefer?

We have the wired version of this and we love it. I feel no guilt buying curricula in the PDF format and printing it right off.

This one looks great! Part of me would love to get the multi-purpose model but when I think about how often I use faxing, copying and scanning it's pretty rare. (Though I might use it more with this! ;)) But perhaps more importantly, I really, really want this high speed blender so I figure I should save a few bucks on the printer so I can get the blender faster. :lol:

Monika, last night I found the 2270 on Staples.ca for $99 with free shipping in Canada. Heads up in case you go with that one! :)

Thanks for all the feedback! It's great to know that people are happy with their Brother printers. I know I'm getting pretty excited about having a fabulous, fast new printer to deal with all this backlog of stuff I have waiting here to be printed! (Including two years of Math Mammoth and all the student pages for SOTW2. Soooo not working out one page at a time with a fussy inkjet!)

Monika, last night I found the 2270 on Staples.ca for $99 with free shipping in Canada. Heads up in case you go with that one! :)

Hi Melanie thanks for the heads up, it's also on sale at bestbuy.ca, which is why I was looking at it. I've been looking for awhile so I think I'll just go for it. Good luck with your printer!

Thank you all for the feedback! I ordered the Brother 2270 yesterday, and it arrived this afternoon! So far I've only managed to plug it in and print a test page (which was super fast!) but intend to hook up the wireless and give it a run with printing all my MM later today. I can't wait! :D

• 3 weeks later...

A quick update for anyone that was following this thread and deciding on the 2270 for themselves...

I've been putting mine to work a lot these past two weeks, getting ready for our next 12-week term. Today it stopped working in the middle of a print job, telling me the toner was out. I did a quick Google search and found out that you can bypass the 'out of toner' message by hitting the 'Go' button seven times. It worked a charm, and I just went on to print another 60+ pages! :D

Apparently this is written in the user manual somewhere, but I figure there are lots of people out there, like me, that don't read through those things so there you go! Heads up for my fellow instruction booklet skimmers. ;)

I just bought that same model this week and love it already! I've purchased various curriculum digitally and printing on the ink jet is way too expensive, and sending files out to a shop is only moderately better. I'm so excited to be able to handle this amount of printing in my home!