Menu

Who creates their own tests for content curricula?

Halcyon

I am beginning to create my own tests for science and history (in particular). Does anyone else do this? If so, when do you administer the exams? Right after the information has been taught (ie within a day or so), the following week? Do you have a final exam?

I am particularly looking for those who do this in the younger (sub-4th) grades.

I do, but kids' formal grades were always a result of an outside verification. So, "mom tests" do not really carry the same weight.

In younger grades, for those particular areas, I issued a sort of monthly or bi-monthly test (usually). I did not emphasize any "preparing" for the test, and I often even issued them without prior notice, as I wanted to test their actual knowledge and retention, as opposed to what I knew they are able to cram if needed. Then I looked at how they progressed from month to month. As they grew older, tests were rarer, but more comprehensive.

I never issued tests right after something was taught. Weekly things I did not really count as "tests" (such as spelling / vocabulary / language stuff), but considered it a "written exercise", usually not graded. When testing, I had a more long-term knowledge in mind, which corresponds to a whole unit of what was studied (or more such units).

I do a little. But my kids are so young that it's not often or for many things. However, when I was teaching school, I always did and found it much better than what came with any curricula I was using. You know what you taught, what info and skills you want to emphasize, you know?

I do a little. But my kids are so young that it's not often or for many things. However, when I was teaching school, I always did and found it much better than what came with any curricula I was using. You know what you taught, what info and skills you want to emphasize, you know?

This is what I am finding. I am making brief exams for science and it is pretty easy to do, and provides a quick snapshot of what my kids are retaining (or not retaining, as the case may be). I haven't done it for history yet. I know there are tests for SOTW, but I've heard they're really detailed, and that's not where we're at right now-I want a more general knowledge retention, if you kwim.

Right now, the only times I do it for the kids are spelling and math a couple of times. But spelling tests are as much the method of teaching as anything. For science and history I just do oral check ins. But I know that when the kids get older, we'll do more. Back when I taught middle school, I made lots of tests. I sort of enjoy it secretly. :D

I do this from a long-term perspective. I've done finals for SOTW 1 & SOTW 2 for my kids. I put on there things I would like them to have remembered, not necessarily specific names of specific rulers. I wrote finals for science a couple of years, too. I'll probably do something similar for SOTW3 & our hands-on physics-using-kits, but I still have a few weeks to write them.

Oh-my-gosh, I better get cracking. :willy_nilly:

I think we'll start doing this next year for my 4th grader for History. I definitely like doing it for Science as I am putting together my own Science based on Core Knowledge standards, and it makes me feel a bit more secure if tehy've "demonstrated" their retention, if you kwim.

I remember that article that discussed how testing helps kids retain, particularly when the "testing" was basically narration or writing out answers, as opposed to multiple choice type questions. Something to keep in mind, anyways.

I do for spelling, math & going to do science as well. I am kinda making up my own curricula in those areas already so it only makes sense. I use Zane Blosser Spelling (just the word lists) but I do take a few words from each list to do a spelling final just to make sure they have retained the words.