Menu

Biology by Miller and Levine - how much did you complete?

I've been looking online at high schools' syllabi for Biology by Miller and Levine, and it seems the vast majority of the schools do not cover all the book. Most completely leave out the human body, and many leave out the plants and animals. The only ones I've found that cover the entire book are those listed as honors courses.

If you've used this book, how much did you complete in one year?

Also, if you covered less than the entire book, did you find that what you covered provided a solid enough base for biology on the ACT?

My son is 20 pages away from doing the entire book. I only had him do the multiple choice questions other wise he wouldn't have finished the text.

We have a few more labs to do, which we plan to do in May and over the summer.

When you say multiple choice questions, do you mean in the text itself, or do you mean in the workbook?

I've been looking online at high schools' syllabi for Biology by Miller and Levine, and it seems the vast majority of the schools do not cover all the book. Most completely leave out the human body, and many leave out the plants and animals. The only ones I've found that cover the entire book are those listed as honors courses.

What's left? :confused:

We've had to not do some chapters in my dd's biology book, but I chose to cut just a few, and those mainly on ecology. I can't imagine leaving out either the human body or the plants and animals and still calling it a bio course.

What's left? :confused:

We've had to not do some chapters in my dd's biology book, but I chose to cut just a few, and those mainly on ecology. I can't imagine leaving out either the human body or the plants and animals and still calling it a bio course.

You asked what's left. Here's a list of the chapters in the book - several schools I found only covered 1-18 in a full year! http://www.millerandlevine.com/chapter/toc.html

If you've used this book, how much did you complete in one year?

Also, if you covered less than the entire book, did you find that what you covered provided a solid enough base for biology on the ACT?

I'm interested in the M-L Biology book too. Did you know that Kolbe Academy has a lesson plan for it that is written to the student? I don't know enough about it to answer any questions, but you can see how they accomplish the entire book (I think) in one year.

You can Google Kolbe Academy and follow links to science. Here is the direct link to the lesson plans for biology:

http://www.kolbe.org/documents/science/Biology9thGradeMillerandLevine09Sample.pdf

If those who have used Kolbe could respond to your post, you might get different responses to your question. I've read that this syllabus is difficult and it takes probably 60-90 minutes per day to do.

They do have schedules for both honors and regular track for comparison.

I'm interested in the M-L Biology book too. Did you know that Kolbe Academy has a lesson plan for it that is written to the student? I don't know enough about it to answer any questions, but you can see how they accomplish the entire book (I think) in one year.

You can Google Kolbe Academy and follow links to science. Here is the direct link to the lesson plans for biology:

http://www.kolbe.org/documents/science/Biology9thGradeMillerandLevine09Sample.pdf

If those who have used Kolbe could respond to your post, you might get different responses to your question. I've read that this syllabus is difficult and it takes probably 60-90 minutes per day to do.

They do have schedules for both honors and regular track for comparison.

Thanks! I didn't know that. Off to look....

When you say multiple choice questions, do you mean in the text itself, or do you mean in the workbook?

At the end of each chapter in the text book there are questions, both multiple choice and word problems. Plus a page of multiple choice questions that would be on an AP biology exam.

I would just have my son do the multiple choice questions at the end of each chapter.