Menu

Bible curricula?

kchara

I'm looking at Balancing the Sword, but I'm just not sure. We use TOG, but I really want something else to help them really learn and learn *how* to study Scripture. I'd also like something that goes chronologically, if I could find it. I found one, but the statement of faith had me worried at the end. I'm afraid it would be rather doctrinally based, which I really don't want.

Has anyone used BTS? How did it work for you? Do you have something else you've used, that you love? I really want to focus on study skills, I guess, memorization, and drawing your own conclusions, rather than basically a catechism disguised as a Bible curriculum, if that makes any sense. We have a lot of "unorthodox" beliefs, so I don't want something super doctrinally based, although I can also work around most things. If I have to "adjust" every single chapter, though, that won't work for us.

Any ideas?

Did you see this similar thread? Great suggestions here: http://welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267103

For scripture memorization you might be interested in the memory system by Simply Charlotte Mason. He describes it here : http://simplycharlottemason.com/timesavers/memorysys/ Her Bible in integrated into the history, and fabulous. Read about it on her free curriculum guide page.

Edited by Blueridge

LOL Her thread is right above mine! Thanks for the link, though. ;) We use the Simply Charlotte Mason system for all of our memory work, and Scripture is in there (I sort of follow their guidelines), but I also want something that's going to teach them how to study the Scripture, b/c I so don't know. (So, I guess, really, teach us all.) I'm really leaning towards Balancing the Sword, just hoping someone else might have used it and can tell me more. :)

We use Rod & Staff, The Story of God's Chosen Family Series. This is our 1st year to use it for dd who is a 5th grader. It is a 4 year series that studies the Bible chronilogically. We use the Bible as our textbook, my dd also uses a workbook. 5th grade starts with Genesis and studies through Samuel. It also teaches how to use a concordance and a bible dictionary. So far, we have not had any doctrinal beliefs that I can think of that have been a problem for us. It does use the KJV Bible for answers so if you are using a different version that could make it a bit difficult when checking work. My dd is learning alot and enjoys the program.

Good luck in your search:)

I use Students of the Word as my main curriculum. Some SOW users supplement SOW with TOG. It would be funny if you supplemented TOG with SOW :-)

I collect Bible curriculums like other people do coins or stamps :-0 I cannot think of one curriculum that does it all. I start with SOW and then pull things here and there from all my other resources to supplement.

SOW doesn't tell the student anything. It teaches them to research it all for themselves. That can be very time consuming and can get old after awhile though and I crave some spoon feeding, and I love visuals.

There are some links in my signature that are worth clicking on.