Menu

I am contemplating MFW AHL for my 9th grader.

Are there additional history writing assignments with instructions above that which are scheduled in Notgrass? If so, is that included in the Lit/Comp supplement?

Does AHL teach literary elements such as setting, plot, characters, etc.?)

Hey There,

We're in Oregon and we're going to be doing a Co-op using this. I think it's the "perfect" curriculum for a group. We're rounding it out wit some Science and Foreign language. (Spanish or Latin, probably) As soon as the search function is working again, you can take a look at it. You might be able to read the posts, if you do a good search for WTM and AHL :)

:)

I had trouble searching today, too. So it's not me, eh?!

Notgrass essays assigned in AHL are the "light essays" to us. The more serious essays are based on the literature & composition supplement, which in AHL is based on Smarr writing instruction. The argumentative essay is the main focus of the year. This is carefully planned out early in the year, and then there's a rubric for the other longer essays.

The plot, characters, etc., aren't taught formally this year. We did that using Progeny Press in 7-8th. I think there was also a list in one of the Writing Strands books, although I'd have to look. This year it's more of a comparison between Biblical history/values and other literature's history/values/etc., and other types of "argumentative" essays. There's also some more fun writing of psalms and proverbs in the middle of the year. And the Notgrass ones that are assigned (not all of them are) give some more varied options, but none focused on literary elements that I noticed. I'm thinking they assume knowledge or assume it's obvious?

I'm sure you could get a short list of literary elements, if you haven't covered that yet. Maybe a google search? Setting etc. is more of a vocabulary lesson, so you can talk about literature, than a true study of literature, IMHO. Some of the more advanced literary elements did come up in our discussion of Homer etc., such as theme and irony.

Julie

I had trouble searching today, too. So it's not me, eh?!

Notgrass essays assigned in AHL are the "light essays" to us. The more serious essays are based on the literature & composition supplement, which in AHL is based on Smarr writing instruction. The argumentative essay is the main focus of the year. This is carefully planned out early in the year, and then there's a rubric for the other longer essays.

The plot, characters, etc., aren't taught formally this year. We did that using Progeny Press in 7-8th. I think there was also a list in one of the Writing Strands books, although I'd have to look. This year it's more of a comparison between Biblical history/values and other literature's history/values/etc., and other types of "argumentative" essays. There's also some more fun writing of psalms and proverbs in the middle of the year. And the Notgrass ones that are assigned (not all of them are) give some more varied options, but none focused on literary elements that I noticed. I'm thinking they assume knowledge or assume it's obvious?

I'm sure you could get a short list of literary elements, if you haven't covered that yet. Maybe a google search? Setting etc. is more of a vocabulary lesson, so you can talk about literature, than a true study of literature, IMHO. Some of the more advanced literary elements did come up in our discussion of Homer etc., such as theme and irony.

Julie

Thanks. That helps a lot. So the writing instruction is pretty clear or do they assume the student knows how to write an essay, etc.?

Writing instruction is step-by-step. :001_smile: And you'll do a lot more variety of types of writing, as well as literary elements in WHL.

That sounds great. Thanks.

Do they teach literary elements in WHL or just use them? I am trying to decide if I need to run a basic lit class concurrently with AHL so she learns the basics and maybe just have her at least read the AHL Lit if it gets to be too much.

That sounds great. Thanks.

Do they teach literary elements in WHL or just use them? I am trying to decide if I need to run a basic lit class concurrently with AHL so she learns the basics and maybe just have her at least read the AHL Lit if it gets to be too much.

The English credit in each year of MFW is very complete. Everything she needs will be included, and yes, she'll be learning about the different types of literature as she goes along. You might consider getting the SAT Prep book that MFW sells to "round out" anything that might possibly be missing in order to prep for SAT, rather than adding another whole class of something. Really, she'll be fine. :001_smile:

The English credit in each year of MFW is very complete. Everything she needs will be included, and yes, she'll be learning about the different types of literature as she goes along. You might consider getting the SAT Prep book that MFW sells to "round out" anything that might possibly be missing in order to prep for SAT, rather than adding another whole class of something. Really, she'll be fine. :001_smile:

Thanks so much!