Menu

Singapore and NOT using HOD?

mommatomany

We're in our second year of HOD and both of my dd's love singapore. Next year we may be switching from HOD b/c combining is not the easiest to do with the guides. BUT, I'm so used to the daily math assignments and activities that are laid out for me that I'm not sure how to make Singapore work without the HOD guide. I know, completely silly question! :blush: With HOD we just use the workbooks. Is there a TM that gives activities and hands-on work?

Singapore does have a Home Instructors Guide for each level as well as the textbook (which you probably already have). We have not used the HIGs yet. I found the text and workbook to be sufficient, with the Extra Practice books for those concepts needed a bit more time to "gel".

The Singapore HIGs are great and they provide a schedule of what to do each week to complete the books in 18 weeks. They have activities for each chapter as well as games, answers for textbook and workbook problems, and teaching helps. They tell you how to introduce each topic using manipulatives before going on to the pictoral examples in the textbook. IMO if you don't use them you aren't getting the full Singapore method.

I have had friends that dropped the Singapore program because their kids "weren't getting it." I later found out they were only using the textbook and workbook, no HIG or other supplements. I think that using the program with all of its pieces makes a big difference in comprehension and retention.

So.... all of that to say, I highly recommend that you buy the HIG and some of the other supplemental workbooks like the Extra Practice, Intensive Practice, and Challenging Word Problems (the last two are what we use) to get the full benefit of the program. :D

:iagree:

The Singapore HIGs are great and they provide a schedule of what to do each week to complete the books in 18 weeks. They have activities for each chapter as well as games, answers for textbook and workbook problems, and teaching helps. They tell you how to introduce each topic using manipulatives before going on to the pictoral examples in the textbook. IMO if you don't use them you aren't getting the full Singapore method.

I have had friends that dropped the Singapore program because their kids "weren't getting it." I later found out they were only using the textbook and workbook, no HIG or other supplements. I think that using the program with all of its pieces makes a big difference in comprehension and retention.

So.... all of that to say, I highly recommend that you buy the HIG and some of the other supplemental workbooks like the Extra Practice, Intensive Practice, and Challenging Word Problems (the last two are what we use) to get the full benefit of the program. :D

Thanks!