Menu

What would you do in this situation?

kristinannie

I am new to HSing so I don't know how to handle this. My DS5 loves to do some seatwork. Last night, we were doing some Miquon pages. About half way through one of them, he just started acting real antsy (practically falling off the chair, just not wanting to do it anymore). I started packing things up to finish another day, but he said that he wanted to finish. It wasn't easy because he wasn't paying attention, but he kept saying he wanted to finish the sheet. I let him, but don't know if he really got anything out of it once we finished. What is the best way to handle this? This has happened a couple of times. :bigear:

First I would make sure that there weren't any major distractions around him like TV or radio or loud siblings (at my house even a quite sibling needs to go out of the room occasionally), then I would suggest he take a jumping jack/run arround the room/ tumbling break. Then hopefully he would be ready to sit quietly. If he WANTS to finish the lesson, I'd take that as a really good sign. I've found that sometimes when I don't think that dd is listening, that she is so antsy it is driving me up a wallk and I feel that she just CANT be getting anything out of what we are doing, she is actually learning quite a lot. Some kids process better when moving around which can be pretty frustrating for the teacher, but the kids don't mind. Hope you find something that helps you both. :D

Watch for about how much work he's able to do before the antsy stuff starts up. That's his limit, and you want to stop a little bit before that, so he doesn't get antsy. He probably wants a good stopping point, so assign just enough to get him to that stopping point before he gets antsy.

This is why it's hard to do formal schooling at a young age. While their brain is often ready for the math or reading or whatever, their brain sometimes isn't ready to sit down and formally work on that subject. So keep it super short, and gradually build the length of time you work. My 4 year old does a "reading lesson" that's 5-10 minutes at the white board. I put up just one line of syllables (from Webster's) or one sentence (from OPGTR) at a time. We go through that. If I think he can handle another line or sentence, I might do that. If I think he's about to get antsy, I stop before it happens. It takes some trial and error, but you'll soon figure out how much your child can do before they are "done". :)

That's a good idea. I never thought of that. He usually has about 20 minutes before he gets antsy, but he just loves doing Miquon so much. Maybe I should just cut it short if we are getting close to that time period. He is an antsy kid. He always has to have something to play with during read alouds, but he does retain the info. This age is hard because they are not ready for a lot of school, but my son is so interested in learning more and doing school.

I've noticed that boys can be antsy and still learning at the same time. Sometimes I think they need to move to learn. My DH is still this way. Always fidgeting around and looking like he isn't listening but he heard everything I said. He works from home some days and watching him on a conference call about drives me nuts!!! But he's as sharp as a tack even though he seems distracted.

I personally just let it go if DS is intent on finishing and review the next day to make sure the wiggle worm picked up what he needed. ;) But if it's becoming counter productive, it's time to run the yard!

First I would make sure that there weren't any major distractions around him like TV or radio or loud siblings (at my house even a quite sibling needs to go out of the room occasionally), then I would suggest he take a jumping jack/run arround the room/ tumbling break. Then hopefully he would be ready to sit quietly. If he WANTS to finish the lesson, I'd take that as a really good sign. I've found that sometimes when I don't think that dd is listening, that she is so antsy it is driving me up a wallk and I feel that she just CANT be getting anything out of what we are doing, she is actually learning quite a lot. Some kids process better when moving around which can be pretty frustrating for the teacher, but the kids don't mind. Hope you find something that helps you both. :D

:iagree:

I also would give him something for his hands to play with when not writing. DS plays with legos, or counts his piggy bank. Then if you feel he didn't "get it" review the next day. At that age lots of review is important, they got so much going on inside their little heads, it leaves very little room for "school".