Menu

Memory Work Question

MominIN

We've started working on Memory Work as a family. My kids doing the memory work are Kindergarten (age 5) through 5th grade (10 years old)I am using the index card box with dividers that someone on here linked to.

The older two are learning them much quicker than the younger two. My #2 is learning it much quicker than my oldest. My question is, when do you consider something learned? When all four have it memorized? Just the older two?

When do you add new work? When they all have learned a previous piece? When just the older two? If I add more for the older two, then I think it will further confuse the younger two. If I wait for the younger two, I feel like I'm holding back the older two.

I know I could do it separately, but in all honesty, I know it won't get done if we don't do it as a family (dh and I are learning along with them, as well). What do all you wise ladies suggest?

Personally, if I were going to have everyone learn the same thing, I wouldn't move on until they have all memorized the piece. I guess I don't understand the point in having the younger two memorize the same piece as the older two if they are going to move on before they've memorized it.

Could one or both of the older two work on it with the younger two in a game-like fashion? I'm not sure what they are memorizing, but when I taught children's church and have had the kids memorize verses, they loved having a verse written on a white board and getting to take turns erasing a word. We would all say the verse together, then one would erase a word, we'd say it again, and so on. Even though many were non-readers, they still liked making the writing disappear.

Another game I've played with my children is to throw or roll a ball while saying something--one person says a word, rolls it & the next one says what comes next. Or each could say the whole thing & then the others repeat each time they get the ball.

Have fun with it! Merry :-)

I agree that if you are all doing it together you should wait untill everyone memorizes what you are working on before moving to something else. With that said, I suggest you have two memory boxes, one for the older kids and one for the younger kids. When it is memory work time one parent works with the older kids the other works with the younger kids. This way it is still family time and gets done as a group. The parents can memorize things too, but the olders and not always waiting on the youngers.

I wouldn't hold back the older kids for the younger kids. Perhaps the younger set could have less to memorize at a time? So your older kids could work on two verses and the younger kids could work on only one of those verses. You could move on when the younger kids have memorized their piece, but that wouldn't stop you from switching out the second piece your older kids are working on.

With my girls I found that my oldest could memorize things faster, and the younger one started comparing herself to her sister. This made her think she was not smart, and caused lots of problems. So I give them each their own memory work, and this is working much better.

Al