Menu

Dithor (hod)

KeriJ

I'm still torn. SWB recommends not doing a program like this in the younger grades right? Plus, I've heard it's a little teacher intensive. I'm absolutely excited about starting HOD next year, but am still waffling on DITHOR. Any thoughts from users???

....weird. I typed the thread title in all caps, but it didn't turn out that way.

I have started DITHOR a couple of times with my second grader. Each time I have put it back on the shelf. My son loves to read and read. I found that asking him to slow down now just put a damper on his love of reading. I also found he just wasn't ready to go that deeply into any one book. One thing I still do from the program is make sure that that we read from all the genres. I also take the time to introduce the different genres when my boys are starting a book. This has helped them to learn that there are different kinds of books to read.

I think this program is going to work great in a few years when we are ready to do more lit study. I do really like the way it is set up and can see the potential for great discussions.

my kids will be in 4th & 2nd next year (dd will be 10 in the fall & ds will be 7 1/2 then). i have opted to not use dithor with either of them. my son is not reading well enough to utilize the program. in fact, he'll be using R&S phonics in place of the emergent reader set HOD recommends. with my daughter, i just plan to go a different direction with her (i think it will fit her learning style better).

Edited by mytwomonkeys

I used DITHOR here and there in both 2nd and 3rd grade. It did seem like a lot of busywork to me. I prefer to just read and discuss. I did use some of their questions as a jumping off point for discussing the books read but having the child fill out all the worksheets was tedious, took a lot of time, and didn't seem worth the amount of effort put in. That said, I did like using it orally.

Thing with DITHOR is since it's such an open ended program, you have to read the book as well, in order to know if your child is answering the questions properly and if they understood certain things. I figure if I'm going to read the book anyways, I may as well just sit with the child and have a good discussion rather than deferring them to a worksheet.

I have started DITHOR a couple of times with my second grader. Each time I have put it back on the shelf. My son loves to read and read. I found that asking him to slow down now just put a damper on his love of reading. I also found he just wasn't ready to go that deeply into any one book. One thing I still do from the program is make sure that that we read from all the genres. I also take the time to introduce the different genres when my boys are starting a book. This has helped them to learn that there are different kinds of books to read.

I think this program is going to work great in a few years when we are ready to do more lit study. I do really like the way it is set up and can see the potential for great discussions.

This is exactly what I had been thinking.

I used DITHOR here and there in both 2nd and 3rd grade. It did seem like a lot of busywork to me. I prefer to just read and discuss. I did use some of their questions as a jumping off point for discussing the books read but having the child fill out all the worksheets was tedious, took a lot of time, and didn't seem worth the amount of effort put in. That said, I did like using it orally.

Thing with DITHOR is since it's such an open ended program, you have to read the book as well, in order to know if your child is answering the questions properly and if they understood certain things. I figure if I'm going to read the book anyways, I may as well just sit with the child and have a good discussion rather than deferring them to a worksheet.

.....this too.

Thank you ladies. good thoughts. I'm leaning towards not at this point.

We use and love HoD but do not use DITHOR either. I just like SWB's approach to lit analysis. I use the time we would have put into it into a Spanish program.

If you're new to HoD I always recommend easing into it and starting without. You can always add it in later if you like.