Menu

If you have used The Writer's Jungle

What can you tell me about it that I would not find on Brave Writer's website?

Is it good for dialectic/logic stage learners? What is the emphasis - is it structure and mechanics? Creativity? Rewriting? Can you tell me about the writing process?

I know I'm being vague, but basically tell me anything and it will be more than I know.

TIA,

Cheryl

I have WJ...I've had it for a year & only read around in it, if that makes sense. So far, I haven't found anything there that's not on their site, BUT I taught writing for years before hs'ing. Their philosophy lines up very much w/ mine. What *I* needed was something to help me convert that phil to the elem level. I suspect that for others, WJ offers a lot more. (Maybe just others that read more thoroughly, lol!)

That said, their focus is neither mechanics nor creativity--it's getting the student comfortable w/ writing, helping them to see it as something they already do & love doing--communicating. In that sense, the focus is simply getting them writing...and talking...and listening. Communicating in general, to see that writing isn't always narrations but more of an aspect of human contact.

Imagine if you were interviewing your great-great-grandmother about her life. Or Abe Lincoln or Aristotle. And you interrupt that flow of precious ideas to correct grammar or spelling--mechanics are important, but they're a finishing touch, not the main goal or point. Ideas first, mechanics later.

And to that end, BW is not a grammar program, but a writing program. HTH!

As to specifics of the writing process, a Bravewriter piece usually begins with a topic funnel followed by a freewrite. The freewrite is then revised, edited, and brought to completion. Each chapter of TWJ describes part of the process with examples and suggestions. Since I did not feel equipped to teach writing during our first years of homeschooling, our children took Bravewriter classes; i.e. Kidswrite Basic, Kidwrite Intermediate, Essay and Timed Essay, and I used TWJ as a reference. No other source has helped me understand how to mentor my children's writing more than Bravewriter. We have used other writing curriculum since that time, but I use the concepts that I learned from Bravewriter every day. Also, I agree with Aubrey that the focus of Bravewriter is the natural communication of ideas which comes from discussion and interest in the topic. We turned to Bravewriter when I realized that my children were writing often, but none of the pieces were interesting to them or to the reader.

Edited by 1Togo

Imagine if you were interviewing your great-great-grandmother about her life. Or Abe Lincoln or Aristotle. And you interrupt that flow of precious ideas to correct grammar or spelling--mechanics are important, but they're a finishing touch, not the main goal or point. Ideas first, mechanics later.

And to that end, BW is not a grammar program, but a writing program.

Thank you for that, Aubrey. I've tried to describe BW and The Writer's Jungle to IRL homeschool friends, but never really know how to put it into words - ironic, considering what BW teaches. I hope you don't mind if I use your explanation next time I tell someone about BW.

Thanks, Aubrey and 1Togo. A question for you: How does BW (WJ) get a student to write what is in their head or to communicate their interests, etc. Do they use a format? a starter of some sort? Teach them to outline or brainstorm?

Does WJ teach how to write persuasive, research, informative, etc papers?

Thank you. I still can't get my brain around this program. I probably haven't asked the best questions for clarification. Did I already say we've been using IEW - and I'm trying to find a next step? That may have been another thread (which flopped) LOL

Thank you,

Cheryl

Thanks, Aubrey and 1Togo. A question for you: How does BW (WJ) get a student to write what is in their head or to communicate their interests, etc. Do they use a format? a starter of some sort? Teach them to outline or brainstorm?

Through relationship. They encourage you to talk to your kids. Sounds simple, but I think it's easy to forget. They suggest things like tea time & movies together to get the conversations going, & for some things, they have some suggestions--I think those are mostly sold separately. Book guides, movie guides, etc.

Does WJ teach how to write persuasive, research, informative, etc papers?

No.

Thank you. I still can't get my brain around this program. I probably haven't asked the best questions for clarification. Did I already say we've been using IEW - and I'm trying to find a next step? That may have been another thread (which flopped) LOL

Thank you,

Cheryl

It's a philosophy, not a program. Personally, I'd still like to have a program. Having a philosophy w/ which to implement that program may or may not be helpful.

The Bravewriter lifestyle is focused on a love of language and ideas through copywork, dictation, poetry reading and discussion, but TWJ does use a concrete process to teach writing; i.e. broad topic, funnel to narrow topic, freewrite, narrow and expansion of the freewrite, and editing. It's a different process than the models and outlines of IEW, but it leads to a organized and polished piece. TWJ is geared toward elementary through junior high students like IEW's TWSS. If your students are ready for essays, which would be next step after mastery of IEW's core units, you could use either "The Elegant Essay" from IEW or Bravewriter's "Help for High School." HFHS does teach the persuasive essay with research and the exploratory essay, which is one type of informative essay. HFHS is written for independent work and includes exercises that help students understand different viewpoints about their topic, etc., but it is a traditional essay curriculum. If you students are not ready for essays and you want to switch from IEW, it might help to identify your reason for moving to another curriculum rather than working toward mastery of core IEW units.

Edited by 1Togo

If your students are ready for essays, which would be next step after mastery of IEW's core units, you could use either "The Elegant Essay" from IEW or Bravewriter's "Help for High School." . . . .

If you students are not ready for essays and you want to switch from IEW, it might help to identify your reason for moving to another curriculum rather than working toward mastery of core IEW units.

Thank you, 1Togo. A couple questions, if you don't mind: What would be some criterion to tell whether ds is ready for essays? It's not that I want to switch from IEW so much. My main concern is for him to be able to write creatively. We joined a speech club, and he's having to write speeches - it's tough for him, without some kind of format or rewrite, like IEW uses. He's done well w/IEW. . . . I am hoping to find something for us that will help him discover how to "dig deep within" and come up with creative ways to express himself through writing and formal speech. Does that make sense? I feel at such a loss to ask the right questions. I appreciate your input.

I deleted my post b/c I decided I wasn't sure about what you were asking. If it is about creative writing, SWB's mom, Jessie Wise, said if she had to do it over again (Her MP3) that she would not worry about creative writing. But I'm not exactly clear on what you're asking about so if you can give more info, I can give my totally naive, never been there but have been thinking about writing for the past year opinion. Ha Ha Ha.

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura