Menu

Anyone have any fun & creative ways for teaching literary genres in elementary?

j_thurm

I was wondering if someone had any ideas to do with each genre or recording sheets or any activity thing above and beyond reading the genres?? Maybe I am making it to difficult :)

Not sure what you mean--

couldn't they just read from each genre?

Well, you could buy a bunch of shaped, colorful notepads and Classic Accents from the Teacher Store, each a different one to represent a different genre. And as you read whatever you read, have your dc choose which genre and therefore which cute shape and write the title on the shape. Does that make sense? We do something similar for literary elements. We write the setting on a globe notepad and the conflict on a red flag and the beginning, middle, and end on a train engine, car, and caboose. The author is on a pencil notepad, theme or main idea is on a light bulb, etc. Do you see what I mean? Something like that, only for the genres.

Thanks for the ideas!! They are great. Please keep them coming!

Well, you could buy a bunch of shaped, colorful notepads and Classic Accents from the Teacher Store, each a different one to represent a different genre. And as you read whatever you read, have your dc choose which genre and therefore which cute shape and write the title on the shape. Does that make sense? We do something similar for literary elements. We write the setting on a globe notepad and the conflict on a red flag and the beginning, middle, and end on a train engine, car, and caboose. The author is on a pencil notepad, theme or main idea is on a light bulb, etc. Do you see what I mean? Something like that, only for the genres.

I would also look at HOD and one website I look at a lot is http://www.readwritethink.org, so maybe check there. I know a couple of ideas would be to use simple picture books, or chapter books and do activities that coordinate with each genre. One year to introduce fairytales, I took used an object from the most common fairytales and then wrote those name on the board. The kids had to decide which item went with which fairytale. (apple - Snow White, long gold hair - Rapunzel, rose - Beauty and the Beast, etc.) Also, for Mystery, we played Clue. Just a couple of ideas to make it fun. Hope that helps!