Menu

MM and Horizons

FrogMom5

Yes, we are using Horizons as our main spine and supplementing with MM and Miquon. We do Horizons 5 days a week, MM 3 days a week and Miquon 2 days a week. My DD just finished Horizons K and we are starting Grade 1. She is going through MM 1A right now. She really likes both programs and I feel like it is well rounded teaching all sides of math.

Yes, we are using Horizons as our main spine and supplementing with MM and Miquon. We do Horizons 5 days a week, MM 3 days a week and Miquon 2 days a week. My DD just finished Horizons K and we are starting Grade 1. She is going through MM 1A right now. She really likes both programs and I feel like it is well rounded teaching all sides of math.

This is basically what we do, too. Horizons 1 for the main course, then we add in some Math Mammoth Blue Series (Addition, Place Value, Subtraction), fact drills and games/hands-on. We are also trying to incorporate more mental math into our day, because Horizons doesn't seem to emphasize this at all. At first my daughter resisted doing math in her head. I didn't exactly push her, but I didn't move over, either. :nopity:LOL. Anyway, when she realized that the mental math wasn't going away ;) she decided she liked it. Kids.

We use Horizons as our main program and supplement with MM as well. My dd (who is very mathy) loves Horizons. She likes the fact that it is pretty independent for her. However, I have to force her to do her MM worksheet. I pull the MM worksheet that corresponds with what we are doing in the first section of Horizons that day (there are about 3-4 topics covered on a Horizons worksheet, so I just use the first section as my guide to what MM worksheet I will pull to go with that lesson). I make her do the MM sheet because it gives her a different perspective on math and I know that it is beneficial for her (like broccoli :)). One thing I found interesting is that to make MM supplement for Horizons I had to go all the way up to some of the third grade MM worksheets (we are only in Horizons grade 1).