Menu

Physics or Chemistry

I realize the typical order of high school science is chemistry and then physics because this also goes along with the math sequence. Is there any other reason to do them in this order?

My dd wants to do physics next year and do chemistry later. She is finishing algebra 2 now and will move into advanced math with Saxon in the fall. She understands how to use a graphing calculator and the functions for it.

so what says the hive...let her do physics or make her do chemistry next? We use Apologia.

Lynda

We do physics first.

The reason for the typical sequence is that students should preferably have a solid algebra 1 knowledge before doing physics.

If your DD has already taken algebra 2, I see no reason why she should not be able to take physics. She could even take a physics class that involves algebra and trigonometry, because the amount of trig needed is very little and can be taught in one afternoon (basically, SOHCAHTOA is all she would need).

I also see no need to do Chemistry first as long as she has the math for Physics (which she does). We did Conceptual Physics in 8th before Chem in 9th. I feel that having a good grasp on basic physics concepts is really helpful in understanding Chemistry. We'll use a trig-based physics later in high school.

HTH,

Brenda

Thanks, I think that I will just let her go with her interests then on this one. What would some of the benefits be to do physics before chemistry?

I will be honest here, I hate science. But I do love nature walks and the world. Somehow, I have ended up with several science minded and loving children. My husband blames it on my lack of using a textbook when the kids were younger and just going out into the world to explore! I am completely lost when it comes to the upper level sciences! LOL

Lynda

Thanks, I think that I will just let her go with her interests then on this one. What would some of the benefits be to do physics before chemistry?

A standard physics course begins with mechanics, which is rather intuitive because we observe the phenomena around us and have direct experiences with them (rolling and falling objects, springs etc). So, dealing with systems that we already have some kind of understanding about is a good introduction - easier than right away thinking about objects we can't even see (atoms and electrons) and abstract concepts.

Taking physics teaches systematic scientific problem solving which will be beneficial in other science classes as well.

Physics is the most basic of sciences, so all systems, even living ones, must obey the laws of physics

Chemistry really is an application of physics - in the end, it is all about atomic structure, electron configurations, energy gains etc. It is certainly possible to take chemistry before physics, and it is possible to take a phenomenological approach to chemistry, but I think the physics background helps to really understand what is going on in chemistry. (Which means less to memorize ;-)

Chemistry really is an application of physics - in the end, it is all about atomic structure, electron configurations, energy gains etc. It is certainly possible to take chemistry before physics, and it is possible to take a phenomenological approach to chemistry, but I think the physics background helps to really understand what is going on in chemistry. (Which means less to memorize ;-)

This makes sense to me.

So at this point she has done Apologia general science, Apologia physical science, MODG Earth Science (research based course with tons of writing, MODG Natural Science, Apologia Biology (she did this in 4 months). Science comes very easy and natural to her. She loves Stephen Hawking and his theories. She absolutely loves some of the theories on parallel universe and string theory(??). She reads and ton and loves to watch the science channel.

What would you recommend that she do then for a future sequence. I just assumed that we would continue with the Apologia books, because they are easy for mom. But it sounds like a different order would be better??

thanks for any help.

Lynda

What would you recommend that she do then for a future sequence. I just assumed that we would continue with the Apologia books, because they are easy for mom. But it sounds like a different order would be better??

I am not familiar with Apologia, so I can't really comment.

I have found that introductory college texts work very well for a high school student who is strong in science and math, and that's what we use.

My dd has been using Apologia and really likes the way the texts teach as well. There's nothing wrong with using Apologia! You may want to use something different, but it's not necessary. Apologia has both regular courses and the advanced ones. So if your daughter is completing a text in four months, she could easily follow that with the advanced text in the same subject. We started with physical science last year and have finished physics this first semester and are now doing chemistry. Most modules are completed in a week; some in the chemistry text are taking longer.

Regentrude gave a good explanation on why it's beneficial to do physics before chemistry. :)