Menu

Spanish for a 6th grader?

ktgrok

My son started Rosetta Stone this year, and while he finds the lessons fairly easy he is frustrated because he doesn't know the "why" or "how" of what he is doing. I really think he needs to know the alphabet, the grammar a bit, etc before he can do this program. Basically, it is asking for logic stage learning and he doesn't have a grammar level of knowledge to base that on. What would be a better program for him?

Everything I am reading about seems to be for very young children, with puppets and songs and such. I don't think he would appreciate that as a preteen.

Any thoughts?

Have you looked at So You Really Want to Learn Spanish by Galore Park? My dd14 uses it and my ds13 will start using it next year. It is for middle school and up. Grammar is taught as well as listening, reading and writing skills. You could use it along w/ RS since you already have it. I also just found this inexpensive little book called Madrigals Magic Key to Spanish at Amazon. Looks very interesting!

Would this work for a student going into 8th grade?

I have SFC A (complete w/dvds), and it's a good middle school grammar based Spanish program. We used it for grade 7. My ds is now attending public school (gr. 8) and is taking Spanish and relearning what he learned in SFC A.

For grade 8, I would recommend finishing SPC A before taking high school Spanish 1. It will make high school Spanish that much easier. SPC A is the way they teach Spanish in schools (grammar based).

We bought Visual Link Spanish for grade 8 but ds decided to attend school for the first time instead. VLS is a very good computer program which has less grammar and is more spoken/listening based.

Edited by MIch elle