Menu

This is why concepts are more important than tricks

Snowfall

Guest RecumbentHeart
The standard algorithm isn't the easiest way to solve 807 - 294.

Far easier to do it the Singapore mental math style where the subtrahend gets bumped up (+6) to 300. The minuend likewise gets bumped up (+6) and we have:

813-300=[ ]

Bill

Perhaps I don't need to read Liping Ma because that was the most obvious way to figure it out to me also. :lol:

I feel stupid for asking but ... what is the standard algorithm?

Perhaps I don't need to read Liping Ma because that was the most obvious way to figure it out to me also. :lol:

In this case the "standard algorithm" would be "column subtraction."

Typically American math education would call the re-grouping (or decomposing) of the 8 hundreds into 7 hundreds and 10 Tens necessary to solve this problem via the standard algorithm "borrowing."

Much on this kind of nomenclature in the Ma book.

Bill

Vertical alignment, worked right to left with regrouping.

Ugh! How ridiculous! First of all, I'd never think of "going up" as equal to "negative." I'd think of "going down" as equated to "negative." So I'd be lost from the beginning. And it's just so ridiculously cumbersome. If nothing else, just count up by hundreds and then on your fingers 'till you get from 294 to 807. That's much faster, simpler, and less confusing. 294 to 794 is 500. 794 to 807 is 13. You're done. No elevators needed.

Guest RecumbentHeart
In this case the "standard algorithm" would be "column subtraction."

Typically American math education would call the re-grouping (or decomposing) of the 8 hundreds into 7 hundreds and 10 Tens necessary to solve this problem via the standard algorithm "borrowing."

Much on this kind of nomenclature in the Ma book.

Bill

Nomenclature. Gotcha. I'll read the book.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I always thought that method was for non-multiplication :D

Bill

That's pretty fast for a Monday, Bill!

I read Liping Ma's book this weekend. Our library finally had it as an e-book.

I was beyond disappointed! I was hoping for some kind of a mountaintop math experience, but I didn't learn a durn thing.

I'm also disappointed because I really have to quit bad-mouthing my own public school experience. I have already acknowledged that English was fairly covered, and now I have to admit they taught me math, too.

One of these days when I get a minute, I'll share how Ray's Arithmetic (Civil War era, USA) includes every single concept from Liping Ma's chapter on fractions. We used to know how to teach math in this country.

Thank you so much for this. I have a child who has difficulty with language processing. Although he shows flashes of genius with math, he still struggles with it too. I couldn't wrap my mind around why he struggled despite seeming to understand math. The quoted part above helped me realize that RightStart, even though it is a wonderful program, is too verbal for him. Light bulb!

I bought Math Mammoth Blue series (grouped by topic) and am going to spend the rest of this school year and summer filling in the holes left by RightStart and start him on grade level next fall. (Next fall's program TBD.)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Ah, you're welcome! :001_smile: