Menu

Our Latin Lesson

Mama Lynx

I wanted to share something cool we did in Latin this week.

We've been using a combination of Latin Prep, and Lingua Latina. This week I had my students (10 and 12) go back to a chapter of Lingua Latina that they know well (Cap. III). I had them re-read it, and then do a written narration, in Latin

They both did very well. I'm going to add this as a regular part of our Latin lessons ... and I'm going to do it as well, as I'm still teaching myself using LL. I'm hoping I can impose on some of the teachers on the Oerberg email list to occasionally look over our work.

I first encountered this idea in high school, when my Latin teacher (an old Jesuit) insisted that we compose a precis of a passage of Cicero in Latin simple enough that the Latin 1 students could follow it.

I like the idea of having them compose the narrations as well.

I'm glad to hear it went well!!!

Here is our long term language plan - untested of course! :)

K - Daily copywork in English

1st - Daily copywork in English

2nd - Daily copywork in English

3rd - 1 weekly narration in English, daily copywork in Latin

4th - 1 weekly narration in English, daily copywork in Latin

5th - 1 weekly narration in English, daily copywork in Latin and French

6th - 1 weekly essay in English, 1 weekly narration in Latin, daily copywork in French

7th - 1 weekly essay in English, 1 weekly narration in Latin and French, daily copywork in Ancient Greek

8th - 1 weekly essay in English, 1 weekly narration in Latin and French, daily copywork in Ancient Greek

9th - 1 weekly essay in English and Latin, 1 weekly narration in French and Ancient Greek

10th - 1 weekly essay in English and Latin, 1 weekly narration in French and Ancient Greek

11th - 1 weekly essay in English, Latin and French, 1 weekly narration in Ancient Greek

12th - 1 weekly essay in English, Latin and French, 1 weekly narration in Ancient Greek

We are aiming high - these are more like levels - not every child (or possibly any child) will get through all 12 levels. But it is the bar we have set for the kids. We'll see how it goes!

I'm glad to hear it went well!!!

Here is our long term language plan - untested of course! :)

K - Daily copywork in English

1st - Daily copywork in English

2nd - Daily copywork in English

3rd - 1 weekly narration in English, daily copywork in Latin

4th - 1 weekly narration in English, daily copywork in Latin

5th - 1 weekly narration in English, daily copywork in Latin and French

6th - 1 weekly essay in English, 1 weekly narration in Latin, daily copywork in French

7th - 1 weekly essay in English, 1 weekly narration in Latin and French, daily copywork in Ancient Greek

8th - 1 weekly essay in English, 1 weekly narration in Latin and French, daily copywork in Ancient Greek

9th - 1 weekly essay in English and Latin, 1 weekly narration in French and Ancient Greek

10th - 1 weekly essay in English and Latin, 1 weekly narration in French and Ancient Greek

11th - 1 weekly essay in English, Latin and French, 1 weekly narration in Ancient Greek

12th - 1 weekly essay in English, Latin and French, 1 weekly narration in Ancient Greek

We are aiming high - these are more like levels - not every child (or possibly any child) will get through all 12 levels. But it is the bar we have set for the kids. We'll see how it goes!

Ooh, I'm drooling over this plan. I don't know how well it would work for us, since we're, er, really falling down over the essays in English :glare: My oldest can do a fabulous narration in Latin, but can't write an essay in English. Go figure. We have a ways to go. But I'm so glad I figured this out with the Latin - having them narrate and then compose in the language obviously is a huge boost to comprehension.