Menu

Co-op science program?

Faithr

it is an inter-faith co-op so we have people from many faiths, Jewish, Muslim, Mormon, Christian, Catholic and seculars as well, so probably it should be something that is easy to secularize, if it is a Christian program.

Thanks!

I used "My Body" one semester. Each child had his body traced on a piece of butcher block paper (or alike)... Each week we would study an organ of the body, and then they would color/cut and paste/glue the organ to their "bodies". Older children would be given a hand-out to do fuirther study at home (optional).

It was a fun semester and I think everyone (ages 7 to 12) learned something.

using a combination of Prentice Hall (older) and ScienceWorks (younger).

I wouldn't use a program that is not designed for the classroom, since it will have to be supplemented so heavily. Prentice Hall and ScienceWorks are very easy to use in a classroom/coo-op situation. THey are more "group-ey" and have discussion, small groups, hands-on, games, etc.

HTH

Tami

I've used books from a series called From Your Friends at The Mailbox- Investigating Science and then there's several titles:

Rocks and Minerals

Weather

Environment

Insects

Amphibians and Reptiles

Mammals

Plants

Energy, Light, and Sound

Solar System

Health and Safety

www.themailbox.com

These are basically unit study type books that include experiments, activities to make, books to read, writing type assignments, etc. It would take 6 class times to cover a book or longer it you wanted to stretch it and do more of the experiments. I've used the Weather and Rocks and Minerals in an Earth Science course that lastest 12 weeks. I also used Hands On Earth Science by Carson-Dellosa for the other areas of Earth Science study. (thanks to Jessica at Trivium's Earth Science lesson plans). This book is really easy, easy to use and I'm not a science minded person and I really have difficulty following directions w/o good pictures.

There are so many good resources out there to help in this area! HTHs!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I was wondering if any of you have used Great Science Adventures in a co-op situation or just at home. I stumbled upon them and I like that they are multi-level. They look like you make lapbooks from them. The experiments look very do-able.

Anybody have any experience with them?

Thanks.

We haven't actually done them. I did see them at convention last year and saw some of them that the ladies kids have done. One of the children was there and said they had fun putting them together. I cannot remember all the particulars about them but I knew that I would be using them next year with Apologia's exploring creation series. You might also try using them in conjunction with Real Science 4 Kids series. We are doing the Biology and my kids are loving it. I add in somethings from different websites that I find. My kids ages 12, 10, 5, and 3 are loving it. It doesn't have creation or evolution in it. Just plain facts.

You can make this as hard or easy as you want. You might check them out at http://www.gravitaspublications.com/products/?PHPSESSID=e877b76847524609200edfd5811f2c4b

HTH

Bummer! But is it a question of just picking and choosing or do you run into the busywork if you insist on doing every activity? Or do you more or less have to do every activity to effectively do the program?

I used "My Body" one semester. Each child had his body traced on a piece of butcher block paper (or alike)... Each week we would study an organ of the body, and then they would color/cut and paste/glue the organ to their "bodies". Older children would be given a hand-out to do fuirther study at home (optional).

It was a fun semester and I think everyone (ages 7 to 12) learned something.

I have a question since I thinking about doing a science co-op and this is a great idea? Do you know what the supplemental activities were? Did the ideas come from a book or the teacher made them up?