Menu

Want: Heavy on basics approach, great reading list

mindygz

My husband and I are working on coming up with our goals and strategies for our homeschooling efforts going forward. We really want to emphasize math, reading, and writing and view everything else as "extras," and perhaps wait to add them until the other things are solid, or maybe just put them on hold for a little while as we get our approach to the basics nailed down.

So today I've been reading about Robinson Curriculum and Ambleside Online and wondering if either of those would be a good fit. We have used MUS up until now, but I just ordered Math Mammoth and am going to use both or perhaps transition more to MM (depends how things go). We have used FLL and WWE for writing/grammar, which I like. This year we started Primera Latina and we use SOTW for history. I feel like my kids need more great books in their lives, and now my daughter is reading well on her own so I think maybe some more emphasis on reading is appropriate. But I am not sure how to approach/require that.

Hmm...I'm realizing I am not being particularly clear, as I have everything rushing through my mind. But, if anyone possibly understands what I am getting at and has any suggestions/ideas, I would really love to hear them! :001_smile: We are taking Spring Break this week and I am trying to figure things out. I want the kids to have more motivation to learn on their own, but am not sure how to get there from here. I want them to get over being afraid of hard work. It took me a while to figure out that having to work hard at something didn't mean that I wasn't "smart" or capable at that. Because I had done well in school, I tended to steer clear of things I wasn't good at (which was easy enough, but looking back, a pretty lazy thing to do).

Anyways...just trying to figure things out, out loud, I guess! :D

When I read your title my first thoughts were MM, Phonics Road, and Ambleside.

I think Ambleside has the best reading list out there. We are in the middle of year 1 right now. I was just looking over year 2 to decide which books my dd can read on her own and start some sort of system for encouraging her to read more independently. So I'll be :bigear: for this thread. I don't know how much to require of her. She reads at a 4th grade level.

I know Sonlight has reading packages that come with a guide. But it's not Ambleside. :)

I've looked at, even bought, Robinson a few years ago and ultimately decided not to do it. I can't really put my finger on what, but Robinson himself makes me a little uncomfortable, and so eventually so did his method, but that's just me.

I have been wondering what else I can encourage when it comes to writing. We do narration and copywork every day, via ambleside, but sometimes wonder if that is enough. It probably is.

Like you, I just got into SOTW and RSO, but I think I'll hold off on those for a while and just work on the basics until I figure out where I'm going.

So no advice. I'm where you are and wondering if someone can point me in the right direction too.

When I read your title my first thoughts were MM, Phonics Road, and Ambleside.

I think Ambleside has the best reading list out there. We are in the middle of year 1 right now. I was just looking over year 2 to decide which books my dd can read on her own and start some sort of system for encouraging her to read more independently. So I'll be :bigear: for this thread. I don't know how much to require of her. She reads at a 4th grade level.

I know Sonlight has reading packages that come with a guide. But it's not Ambleside. :)

:iagree:

Phonics Road is the most comprehensive Language Arts in the elementary years, IMO. Add in some copywork from your Ambleside readings (there is a yahoo group just for that!) and LA is done. Actually...you could use a smattering from Sonlight, Ambleside, whatever your heart desires and be good to go as far as a reading list goes.

Here's another idea on reading that I came across today. I think I'll have my kids do the Memoria Press Literature Guides up through grade 6 and then do the Lightning Lit guides in 7&8. This way they can practice more writing, vocab study, and comprehension that I can check on.

Then I'll have a reading list that I found at Highlands Latin school website, their summer reading suggestions, as well as books from ambleside. I'll also read many of the books from ambleside as family read alouds.

Phonics road also includes a book study on Little house in the big woods, Benjamin West, and carry on mr. bowditch.

Just an idea.

Drawn into the Heart of Reading might be something along the lines of what you're looking for. Another option would be to compile a list of books for each year (or term, or whatever) and assign them one at a time, requiring her to read X number of pages/chapters each week and then discuss them and/or have her narrate what she has read several times through the week.

Once my boys are reading well I have them read and read some more. To find good books, I go through Sonlight, HOD, VP and other book lists. I ask my boys to read 2-3 chapters per day in a book. We talk about the read by them telling me what is happening in their story. Other than that they just read the book. I also have a book basket full of books about our current history and/or science topic. At times, I will assign some of the books or that they have to just pick on to read.

To help develop, thier love of learning and to learn that they can learn from books, about every other month or so I ask them to pick a topic, such as an animal to learn about. Then we go to the library together and they pick out 5-10 books on the topic. We bring them home and read and talk about what they are learning. Sometimes, they will write or draw about what they are learning but mostly we just talk.