Menu

Which Geometry could be finished in a summer?

Which geometry textbook would you use if you wanted to be able to complete an entire Geometry course in a summer? I have an opportunity to tutor a student this summer. She is homeschooled and makes good grades in math, but doesn't love it. She has started taking some classes at a university-style school and would like to take Chemistry next year, which puts her on the schedule with kids taking Algebra 2.

She has used BJU for Algebra 1 this year. Her mother already owns BJU Geometry, but is open to other publishers. I've read good things about Jacobs and LoF, but don't have any experience with either.

Thanks for any advice

Yes, possibly LifeofFred Geometry. We used it last year and it took much less than the full year, doing it only 4 days per week. You could probably combine a few lessons and make the short chapter on symbolic logic optional. One benefit to using LOF during the summer is that the homework is much shorter. No huge 30-problem set. Plus, it's fun and quirky which would be a nice change up for the summer. ;)

Lisa

We did BJU Geometry, but I'm not sure if you could condense it to the summer, we did the dvd classes, and there were 180 lessons to watch. I no longer have the book.... but we skipped the space chapter. The "A" problems are supposedly the minimum. There is a chapter on logic that you might be able to skip (but we really enjoyed it and were doing Traditional Logic at the same time). Some of the beginning chapters were strange. Hmmmm. I guess look at it, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't do it without the dvds.

Maybe MUS??

We did BJU Geometry, but I'm not sure if you could condense it to the summer, we did the dvd classes, and there were 180 lessons to watch. I no longer have the book.... but we skipped the space chapter. The "A" problems are supposedly the minimum. There is a chapter on logic that you might be able to skip (but we really enjoyed it and were doing Traditional Logic at the same time). Some of the beginning chapters were strange. Hmmmm. I guess look at it, but I'll be honest, I wouldn't do it without the dvds.

Maybe MUS??

Thanks for the heads up about BJU. I have a math degree, but I haven't taught Geometry in quite a few years.

My own dd will be doing Algebra 1 next year, so I think it will be good experience for me to do it now. I have wondered if she could do it, too, even if she hasn't had Algebra 1. I'd be here to "hold her hand" through any Algebra that is involved. I'll have to wait until I see a book, though. I really can't remember how much Alg 1 is in Geometry.

Yes, possibly LifeofFred Geometry. We used it last year and it took much less than the full year, doing it only 4 days per week. You could probably combine a few lessons and make the short chapter on symbolic logic optional. One benefit to using LOF during the summer is that the homework is much shorter. No huge 30-problem set. Plus, it's fun and quirky which would be a nice change up for the summer. ;)

Lisa

Thanks so much for the information. I sent her mom a link to a sample.