Menu

Those of you that supplement math

hsbaby

Do you alternate curriculum or do your core curriculum each day and add a lesson from whatever you choose to supplement? We use CLE and it seems like it would be overkill to add something, but I would like him to have a little extra practice with a variety of word problems.

Edited by hsbaby

Our primary program is Singapore and we supplement with Horizons. I love the way that Singapore teaches concepts. Horizons is great for reviewing previously learned skills and preparing for standardized tests. My girls do one Singapore workbook exercise daily (we go through the text together first). When they finish a unit they then do the Challenging Word Problems section for that same topic--about 2 pages a day, so 4 or 5 days on word problems usually. Each day they also do one lesson in Horizons, but I cross out some of it to keep the total workload reasonable. So if there are 6 long division problems I may have dd do 3 of them. If she did multiplication problems yesterday I may have her skip them today. She does the fraction problems pretty much any time they come up and will continue to do so until she automatically reduces to lowest terms every time! You get the idea--I have her do the problems that I think will most benefit her but not waste her time. So I do not try to line up the two programs at all--we just move independently in each.

Now for my older dd we also do Life of Fred (fractions this year) and that alternates with Singapore. After every unit or two of Singapore we switch and do a section of Life of Fred. She considers it a vacation!

For about a year, we did Singapore + CLE Math. They are both excellent programs. We did one lesson from CLE and the speed drill every day. We would also do an exercise from Singapore every day. We supplemented for a couple of reasons:

my kids were not retaining ANYTHING with Singapore (at the time), including math facts

I loved the geometry, measurements, etc in CLE - my kids thought they were a lot of fun

So, during the year, my kids mastered their math facts...my son is a math whiz right now...and we're continuing with Singapore, but not with CLE. I have added Miquon as an occasional math lab. But, seriously, Miquon takes us like 5 minutes. :tongue_smilie:

If you're going to do it, make sure it's not going to burn anyone out. My kids can buzz through Singapore in 20 minutes, but CLE seemed to take longer (especially if you added in the speed drills). Plus, I would do it on a temporary basis - like to fix a problem area - but not make it a permanent situation.

Oooh! Oooooh!

OK, not to hijack the thread...but, why did you drop CLE math??

We are using CLE right now (3rd grade) and I really like it. However...when I look at the placement tests for Singapore, they seem SO hard!!!

It has me nervous that CLE isn't preparing them well, even though they have come sooooo far in their math this year! They finally know all of their facts!

Oooh! Oooooh!

OK, not to hijack the thread...but, why did you drop CLE math??

We are using CLE right now (3rd grade) and I really like it. However...when I look at the placement tests for Singapore, they seem SO hard!!!

It has me nervous that CLE isn't preparing them well, even though they have come sooooo far in their math this year! They finally know all of their facts!

No! Stay with CLE if your kids like it and they're doing well. I loved CLE. I wished we could have done both programs for a while. There is a lot of stuff covered in CLE that's not covered in Singapore. Also, CLE has constant review, which is what my kids were needing at the time. And, it's simple to implement.

I don't think it's behind Singapore at all, I just think Singapore introduces things at different times.

The only reason I dropped CLE instead of Singapore is we've been doing Singapore from the beginning (with 2 of my kids) and I have all the books.

Seriously, that's the reason. If CLE is working for you, I would stick with it.

THANK YOU!!! I've been stressing about this for weeks. I so appreciate your feedback. We love CLE and it works so well for my daughter with learning delays, so I think we'll stick with it. They also do Dreambox online, so at least they are having to apply their knowledge in other ways, which I guess would be the point of doubling up.