Menu

ADHD (Inattentive) Diagnosis today

I homeschooled my son through 4th grade. He is now in a small private school. Only 9 kids in his class. He is doing 5th grade. We have had problems with his reading, writing and memory all his life.

So my son went through neuro/psych testing at a doctors office a few weeks ago. Today we got the results. ADHD Inattentive. She told us to do these things:

Get someone to tutor him in reading using Lindamood or Wilson method. Or even Orton Gillingham.

Read the book Overcoming Dyslexia by Sally Schaywitz. He does not transpose letters or see them funny, but he has issues with phonics.

He needs things to be repeated to him before he gets it. He needs to not be required to write or take notes. (Teacher must supply notes)

He does not have good fine motor skills and suggested maybe in the future taking him to an OT to be tested for that and they could possibly help but she doesn't think they'd be able to do too much about this.

I am glad we did the testing becasue now I can stop beating myself up and my husband can be more understanding to my son. We finally got the message. So now what to do? Do I bring him back home? He hates school and is discouraged. They are willing to help, but really how can they do all he needs and do it well? Public school is out. I am not willing to do that.

I am going to our homeschool conference in June and will be taking the special needs classes and start learning about all of this. I also homeschool my daughter who will start high school at home this fall.

Firstly, she said its important to get him going with the reading program. So do I try to get a tutor, or do I try to do this myself. Aren't these reading programs implemented by someone trained in how to use the program? Can I and should I even try to do this?

I am at the beginning of all of this.

Was dyslexia diagnosed as well? I'm a little confused.

In addition to what was already mentioned (and I know I must sound like a commercial for covd when I say this), if you haven't already done so, I'd be sure to rule out vision issues with regard to how the eyes work together by visiting a developmental optometrist (www.covd.org). These types of vision issues are so simple to rule out (by seeing the right doc), if such issues are not present, that I think it's a mistake not to do that first.

I am a little skeptical of the suggested accommodation of not taking notes or writing at all. I'd say that those are life-long academic skills that, for someone with an LD, are more important to work harder at. I might see about getting a copy of someone else's notes so that content learning doesn't suffer, but only as long as that didn't completely mess with the motivation to try to take any notes. Or, I'd find a way for him to be able to handle more of the job himself (e.g. tape recorder?). I'd also add in keyboarding.

just my two cents - I'm sure the more knowledgable folk will be along soon to offer something more on point :)

Not really, Dyslexia can have many different symptoms:confused:. The more you read the more you will understand this. I would recommend the book "The secret life of the dyslexic child". I have found that bringing my ds from public school and working at the level he as at has helped him so much. He has self confidence now that he hasn't had before going to ps. Learn everything you can about dyslexia and ADD. You can do this!. Also get him typing as soon as possible. Many people on this board has had success with Barton Reading and Spelling (Very hs mom friendly), All About Spelling, Wilson Reading, and LiPS. Anything from EPS books are also helpful. Try to determine what kind on learner he is (hands on, Auditory, ect) this is will be helpful in selecting curriculum for next year. Goodluck!:001_smile:

You should join the dyslexiasupport2 and HeartofReading email loops on yahoogroups. HeartofReading is for hsers, but dyslexiasupport2 is primarily psers (although there are a lot of hsers there too).

If you want to do it yourself, Barton is the cadillac of programs for dyslexics. You'll find MANY posts on both of the email loops I linked above.