Menu

Favorite skin care products

Rosacea is a chronic skin condition that causes redness and pimples on the chin, cheeks, forehead, and particularly the nose.

It can hurt, much the way burning, stinging, and sunburned skin does.

Anyone between the ages of 20 and 60 may develop this condition.

Peela said this a while back:

“All skin conditions (except an outright rash related to poison ivy sort of thing) originate from an internal condition, especially relating to the liver. The liver is our detoxifier, and if it struggles, toxins are expressed through the skin (that is a simplification, but generally true). In naturopathy, you go to the liver and help it along if you want to deal with skin issues.

Considering all the trans fats and chemicals in our modern diet, (and how they affect the liver) and the quality of many people's diets, I would say most skin conditions are definitely related to our modern day environmental and dietary conditions.”.

Causes

Alcohol

Caffeine

Corticosteroids

Dairy Products (some)

Deficiency in B Vitamins

Drugs that dilate the blood vessels (including some blood pressure meds)

Fair skin

Family history

Food Intolerances

Hormonal Imbalance

Hot baths and saunas

Hot foods and beverages

Lack of digestive enzymes

Low Stomach Acid (one of the main causes)

Parasites and Organisms

Poor Digestion

Pork

Sluggish Liver and Lymphatic Function

Spicy foods

Strenuous exercise

Stress (particularly anger or embarrassment)

Sunlight

Temperature extremes

Drink a cup of warm water with a squeeze of lemon first thing in the morning and last thing at night to alkalize your system

Blackberries, blueberries, and cherries are vascular constrictors that assist in reducing redness

Flavonoid-rich cranberries tonify blood vessels and help reduce the redness of rosacea – try to get organic, unsweetened cranberry juice

Cabbage, cauliflower, sprouted broccoli seeds, celery, kale, seaweedrosacea is often a sign of liver toxicity – these foods are all helpful to the liver

Fiber, raw foods, and fresh vegetable juices to prevent constipation

Pineapple and papaya are a good source of food enzymes that aid digestion

Brown rice, lentils, beans, dates, wheat germ, beets, green veggies like spinach, almonds, and sunflower seeds are all sources of B vitamins – most with roscaea are deficient in B vitamins

Take 2 teaspoons of organic Apple Cider Vinegar before main meals to aid digestion – if you feel that this is needed

EAT LESS OR AVOID

Dairy products worsen the condition

Refined foods with artificial food coloring, preservatives, and MSG

White sugar, pastries, pies, cakes, sugary cookies

Aspartame and NutraSweet cause noticeable flushing in many people with rosacea

Margarine, shortening, fried foods, trans-fatty acids

If you show signs of rosacea, record what you’re eating and drinking to help identify your own triggers. Cheese, chocolate, citrus fruits and juices, nightshade family veggies (eggplant and tomatoes), and seafood (lobster and shrimp) worsen this condition in some people.

Get tested for food intolerances if still necessary.

B Vitamins is particularly deficient in almost every case of rosacea, particularly riboflavin (B2) – take a B Complex

A good fish oil, such as Carlson’s

Milk Thistle helps liver function

• Helps detox the liver (even in cirrhosis and nonalcoholic liver disease)

• Encourages regular bowel movements

• Reduces toxic accumulation and protects liver cells from toxic chemicals and drugs

• Regenerates liver cells

• Enhances glutathione production in the body

• Calms inflammation and has anti-inflammatory effects

• Antioxidant effects

• Used to reverse liver damage from exposure to toxic chemicals

• Also used for heartburn, loss of appetite, and gallbladder complaints

• Used also for: hangover, diseases of the spleen, prostate cancer, malaria, depression, uterine complaints, increasing breast milk flow, and starting menstrual flow

• Helpful for rosacea

Take 250-300 mg up to 3 times daily or 750-900 mg per day

Milk thistle (silymarin) has long been used in liver disease and helps boost glutathione levels.

Hormone-sensitive conditions such as breast cancer, uterine cancer, ovarian cancer, endometriosis, or uterine fibroids: Extracts from milk thistle PLANT might act like estrogen. If you have any condition that might be made worse by exposure to estrogen, don’t use these extracts. In contrast, the more commonly used milk thistle SEED extracts do not seem to act like estrogen.

Nettle Tea – drink this at room temperature – a good source of the B Vitamins

Herbal Tinctures of Red Clover and Astragalus can help. Make sure they are alcohol-free.

Burdock has traditionally been used for rosacea. It works on the liver, which is often sluggish.

Agnus Castus may help to regulate any underlying hormonal imbalance exacerbating the problem.

Research has linked rosacea to low stomach acid. For most people, hydrochloric acid (HCl) or stomach acid, which knocks out dangerous bacteria—but not friendly flora—appears to work as a natural antibiotic, without causing the unwanted side effects of these medicines—including drug-resistant “superbugs.”

Unless you have ulcers or have been diagnosed with a pre-ulcerative condition, you might want to test for HCl, the good stomach acid. Take 500 to 550 mg of betaine with HCL before your next few meals and carefully observe how you feel.

A burning belly or face probably means that you already have sufficient stomach acid—and may, instead, benefit from taking digestive enzymes with pancreatin with or at the end of your meals to support nutrient absorption.

Vitamin C and bioflavonoids are anti-inflammatory

Use natural sun protection (with SPF of 15 or higher) that blocks UVA and UVB radiation.

Always allow hot beverages to cool at least to body temperature to avoid facial flushing

Above all, treat your skin very gently: Don’t rub or touch your face too often. Avoid facial products containing alcohol or other irritants. Use only those labeled non-comedogenic to prevent clogged pores.

The American Academy of Dermatology has found topical creams with green tea helpful for rosacea, and another study has shown that topical vitamin B3 (niacin) improves this condition. According to research at the University of British Columbia, a natural cream with azelaic acid is as effective as topical metronidazole in treating pimples—and slightly better at reducing redness without encouraging the growth of fungus or drug-resistant bacteria.

Go on a 24-hour detox and take the herb cleavers to help to get the lymph moving in order to carry the toxins more efficiently out of the body. Follow this with a couple of days of just broths, raw foods, and veggies juices.

Avoid facials with steaming. It sometimes makes things worse.

Take up yoga or meditation to aid relaxation and deal with stress.

Doctors often prescribe oral antibiotics (because they work faster than topical drugs) for their anti-inflammatory properties. Even so, you may need to take these meds for a month or so before you see results—and they can cause diarrhea and other digestive distress.

At least read her book http://www.amazon.com/Original-Beauty-Bible-Facts-Ageless/dp/1877988332/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1302869236&sr=8-3. It's been the single most helpful thing to help steer me towards products that (1)actually work/help and that are (2)designed for my skin. She tests a variety of products- $ to $$$$- and gives reviews of why they are good/bad for the skin RE irritants, pH levels, effectiveness, fragrance etc. and has recommendations in every category. (I also tried a few of her products but honestly they didn't wow me, but then they weren't supposed too)

As a single product recommendation, I've started using "Alpha Hydrox" Glycolic Acid at night and it has made the biggest difference. Smooth soft skin- (its an exfoliater and prevents wrinkles....)http://www.neotericcosmetics.com/alpha-hydrox/products/new-generation.html

I'd love your tips. :)

I know that you're very good with your diet and disciplined overall. My tips are probably things that you already know.

No. I don't have rosacea. I think that most from my culture (Persian) don't either. We have other problems and concerns :lol:.

Turmeric can tint the skin temporarily, particularly when left on for too long or if too much is applied. Best not to do it before going someplace special, or you might end up looking a bit like an Oompa Loompa :lol:.

oompaloompa.png

Hi all. I'm looking for a good skin care program. I'm over 40 now and realizing that probably my normal routine of, uh, basically doing nothing for my skin is not going to cut it. So what do you recommend...Oil of Olay, Mary Kay, Clinique...?

Thanks!

Jamie

I am pleased with the Oil of Olay Foaming Face Wash and Facial Lotion for sensitive skin. In the warmer weather I use the toner too.

:)

I recommend you get Paula Begoun's books from the library before you buy a single product. They are fantastic. She's all about evidence based skin care- what works, what doesn't, what's worth the money. She points out that even the excellent product lines have good and bad products, so she recommends you look at each product individually.

Also, what you need depends on your skin type, so take recommendations from strangers with a grain of salt. ;)

The Beauty Bible

Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me

Her beautypedia website is free now, too. http://www.beautypedia.com

I didn't know mineral makeup came off with only water. I'm about to go crazy as I haven't been able to wash my back after my surgery, and I have three day's worth of oil on it. I can scrape layers off -- it's horrible.

I have terribly oily skin also. :ack2:

Hope you feel better soon, Dawn!:grouphug:

I have been using Avon's Renew Rejuvenate. I have really enjoyed the results, but it has a very heavy fragrance. I read somwhere to change your regime yearly (?) because your skin goes into maintenance mode after awhile with the same lineup. I was thinking about ROC - I like their resurfacing daily cleansing pads. (I cut the pads in half ;))