Menu

Thinking about the future Science and Hist.

I have a 5th grader (just started 5th this month) we're using K12 HO vol.1 for history, and PH Earth Science. I've got our schedule figured out through 8th grade, I need some suggestions for High school. I want to cover Biology, Chemistry, and Physics, for science. History I'm open to just about any focus. The only real requirements is that they are "advanced" and 100% secular. Any recommendations would be welcome, Thanks.

We use and have used the same resources. Here are some things I have used or am planning to use.

American history: I am currently using K12's American Odyssey with my 9th grader (I was able to get them to sell me the book they use in their high school US history course) and it is excellent. Highly recommended.

World history: Ways of the World by Robert Strayer (it is a college level text). I really like the big history approach and this book seems awesome (I have extensively reviewed it but have not used it yet). The Big History lectures from the Teaching Company would work well with it.

Biology: I have finally decided to use Biology: The Unity and Diversity of Life by Starr and others. It is a college text. If you want a high school text, I have extensively reviewed the Miller and Levine book and it looks good too.

Chemistry: We used Conceptual Chemistry and I really wouldn't recommend it for a high school level course. I have reviewed the Zumdahl text and it looks good, but I haven't used it. My older son will be taking chemistry at the community college.

Physics: Giancoli seems to be a popular text. I have not reviewed it though. Again the older one will be taking physics at the community college.

I didn't know about all of these options at the time, but here is what I would have done with science if I'd known.

5th-7th Prentice Hall Science Explorer (actually did this)

8th Integrated Physics and Chemistry -- http://www.cpo.com/ipcres/bookTOC.html

9th either Holt Biology (using Oak Meadow syllabus) or Introductory Chemistry by Nivaldo Tro

10th either biology or chemistry from above

11th Giancoli's Physics

12th advanced science at cc

history

7th-8th Journey Across Time (going to try this out for next year because SOTW just doesn't feel like enough)

9th Oak Meadow US history

10th Oak Meadow world history

11th Oak Meadow world geography

12th either Oak Meadow government or take government at cc