Menu

Thank you, Enid Blyton!

Like many of the dcs here, my first two dds were early readers, and I used the good old Magic Treehouse series as their "bridge" from picture books and beginning readers to actual chapter books.

Dd3 (nearly 4) has been ready, IMO, to move on for a while now, but has maintained a steadfast disinterest in Magic Treehouse because, she explains, she wants a picture on every page, in color thank you.

Well I stumbled across Enid Blyton's "Noddy" series--twenty of them!--for a dollar each. Magic Treehouse-level writing and chapter length, with vibrant color pictures on every. single. blinking. page. She is devouring them. I think there's a picture of Noddy next to "twaddle" in the dictionary, but I so don't care.

Caveat: The Golliwog character makes me squirmily uncomfortable; but I figure I'll be removing these books from the shelf before she's too much older. (Dd8 doesn't even remember the contents of the Magic Treehouse series.)

Guest Breeze

I loved reading Enid Blyton as a child. It sounds like you have an old edition. The Golliwog charcters have been replaced with teddybears in more recent editions.

Did you buy them second hand? I was looking on Amazon, and they are only available from third party sellers, and are very expensive. I'd love to find some at a reasonable price, even if not a dollar, LOL!
I did get them second-hand. They're a 1983 reprint from the U.K. I have no idea how they ended up on the clearance rack in a Half Price in Central Texas.

I did get them second-hand. They're a 1983 reprint from the U.K. I have no idea how they ended up on the clearance rack in a Half Price in Central Texas.

Oh well! I probably won't be able to track any of those down in a store, but there is always Ebay...