Menu

how much would you spend on flip-flops?

When you have foot, leg, back or other related pain, don't wear anything on your feet that isn't going to support you properly.

I keep getting told that about my crocs because I have all sorts of things buggered up with my feets, but they're the ONLY* thing (aside from my snowboots) that I can wear without my feet constantly hurting! Backwards, but hey. :laugh:

*seriously. I own nothing else because it all hurts or doesn't even fit. No flats, no sneakers, no sandals, no heels, nada. Just crocs. (and only one particular style of them)

I'm really tired of buying cheap, "cute" flops every year that hurt my feet and hips to wear them. I have chronic hip issues and was diagnosed with arthritis 2 years ago (and I'm not even 40 yet!!) but I LOVE going barefoot and wearing flops in the summer.

any thoughts??

Shannon

I was born with 2 deformed hips. When reaching 40, the hips (one more than the other) bothered me tremendously. I too loved wearing flip flops, but I can assure you, they are the worst for your hips. Unless I wear fit flops, I am doomed. I'm guessing the fit flops offer a lot more support.

A friend of mine who has hip issues always wears MBT. They look like Shape Ups and she told me that the rocking motion really helps her. Now she has had hip replacement and is scheduled for a second one.

I have not had the surgery yet but I know I am very close. (yes at 41!) That's why I go out of my way to purchase more expensive shoes and to visit the pool 3 to 4 times a week.

A little OT perhaps, but one thing I'm going to mention for all of you who suffer from various hip/leg problems -- in case it hasn't been properly diagnosed. For years, my sister had terrible hip pain, etc.... Finally, one physical therapist had her lay (or is it lie?) down on her back & checked her leg length. Turns out that one of her legs is about 1/2 inch shorter than the other.

She now puts those little gel heel pads in each of her right-foot shoes. Her hip problems & pain have pretty much gone away since then.

(I was petsitting at her house for her recently & grabbed a pair of her flip flops to go out in the backyard w/ her dog. I almost fell off the flip flops [if one can even 'fall off' of flip flops :tongue_smilie:] because the heel pad was in there & I wasn't used to it. I made me uneven. :lol:)

I love flip flops (and shoes in general). If considering price is part of the issue, take into consideration how many hours of wear you will get out of them -- basically do a 'cost per wear' scenario. If they're shoes you really will wear a lot, it's definitely worth paying more, esp. if they are more comfortable/work better for you.