Menu

Too tough for a 9th grader?

My 9th grader (good student) and my 7th grader (very gifted student) are using it this year. It is thorough and rigorous - we are using it because it was the most rigorous Christian program I could find - but they are doing well. More than any previous science knowledge, how a student does in it will depend on their ability to read a text and their study skills. It's not so much the difficulty of the material (it is explained very well) as it is the amount of it. :001_smile:

We don't use the DVDs (we use the DIVE,) but I would think that would make it even more accessible for a 9th grader.

Thanks for your help. Do you like the DIVE dvd's? Going with the Bob Jones dvd's would be so expensive.

I really do. My girls have a very full work load in other subjects, and I didn't think we had the time each day to watch them, on top of the reading. The DIVE is just enough for a good student: he covers the tricky spots and the labs and leaves the rest to be explained by the text. They are doing very well.

• 3 months later...

I am considering using Bob Jones Biology for my 9th and 10th graders this year. I would appreciate input and recommendation from someone who has used the program.

We did online Physics with Greg Landry last fall but in the spring, we simply used varous science books and online sites...no formal text.

I am not sciency at all and I want to make sure we use a curriculum this year that is user-friendly for us all. They love science but my oldest isn't the best at it. If we went with Bob Jones, would it be best to order the text/labs and also use the DVDs or online videos to help with lecture/lab?

I don't know anything about DIVE but I see it mentioned on TWTM and wonder how it works and if we can use it.

I seem to waiver between Abeka and Bob Jones.

thanks for input.

We have used BJU Life and Earth and Space with just the book. We did DIVE Physical Science with the BJU Textbook. Although the Life and E&S was good material, I REALLY like the DIVE setup. Dd15 did very well with it this past year and will be doing DIVE Biology this year.

I noticed on the DIVE website that they offer it for Bob Jones 2nd or 3rd edition. When I was browsing on the Bob Jones site, I noticed they have a

4th edition Biology now so how do you align these two to work together?

I am wanting to use the DIVE along with Bob Jones.

I noticed on the DIVE website that they offer it for Bob Jones 2nd or 3rd edition. When I was browsing on the Bob Jones site, I noticed they have a

4th edition Biology now so how do you align these two to work together?

I am wanting to use the DIVE along with Bob Jones.

The DIVE author will make a schedule for you if you ask him. He may not have done it yet since the 4th edition is new this year. Or you can buy a 3rd edition Biology used instead.

I am considering using Bob Jones Biology for my 9th and 10th graders this year. I would appreciate input and recommendation from someone who has used the program.

We did online Physics with Greg Landry last fall but in the spring, we simply used varous science books and online sites...no formal text.

I am not sciency at all and I want to make sure we use a curriculum this year that is user-friendly for us all. They love science but my oldest isn't the best at it. If we went with Bob Jones, would it be best to order the text/labs and also use the DVDs or online videos to help with lecture/lab?

I don't know anything about DIVE but I see it mentioned on TWTM and wonder how it works and if we can use it.

I seem to waiver between Abeka and Bob Jones.

thanks for input.

The DIVE is like your "professor" for the course. He gives the lecture, and you are also reading out of your textbook. For Bio, there wasn't a lecture for every single lesson, but there is for Chem. There are questions on the DIVE (you print them out) to make sure you understood the concepts, as well as a list of vocabulary words. There is an answer key, too. There are also labs: a few pages of written work plus the lab you watch. Those are usually 20-30 minutes long, with spots to pause them and do your own results if necessary, then he works through the answers on the DVD. And there are quarterly tests. You only need to add a textbook; you don't need tests or the lab books from BJU.

I have used the DIVE for Biology this past year, and I just finished putting together my plan for Chemistry for the coming year. I love, love, love the DIVE program. I can't believe it's only $50. :D

The DIVE is like your "professor" for the course. He gives the lecture, and you are also reading out of your textbook. For Bio, there wasn't a lecture for every single lesson, but there is for Chem. There are questions on the DIVE (you print them out) to make sure you understood the concepts, as well as a list of vocabulary words. There is an answer key, too. There are also labs: a few pages of written work plus the lab you watch. Those are usually 20-30 minutes long, with spots to pause them and do your own results if necessary, then he works through the answers on the DVD. And there are quarterly tests. You only need to add a textbook; you don't need tests or the lab books from BJU.

I have used the DIVE for Biology this past year, and I just finished putting together my plan for Chemistry for the coming year. I love, love, love the DIVE program. I can't believe it's only $50. :D

So let me get this straight...I only need to order the TEXT from Bob Jones and then order lab books and tests from DIVE? I can't seem to get this figured out. Also, I checked the DIVE site today and it seems he only has a syllabus for the 3rd edition. I received an email from his staff today who said his wife said he is unavailable until August 9th and at some point he will be doing a 4th edition syllabus. She told me that I could send him the table of contents and he will try to get one completed but I don't know how long that takes and when to expect it. Would you think I would be safe to order the BJ text and the DIVE CD-rom and wait for him to get the syllabus to me? Or should I just try to find a 3rd edition text and order the syllabus he has already for that text?

So let me get this straight...I only need to order the TEXT from Bob Jones and then order lab books and tests from DIVE? I can't seem to get this figured out. Also, I checked the DIVE site today and it seems he only has a syllabus for the 3rd edition. I received an email from his staff today who said his wife said he is unavailable until August 9th and at some point he will be doing a 4th edition syllabus. She told me that I could send him the table of contents and he will try to get one completed but I don't know how long that takes and when to expect it. Would you think I would be safe to order the BJ text and the DIVE CD-rom and wait for him to get the syllabus to me? Or should I just try to find a 3rd edition text and order the syllabus he has already for that text?

Yes, you only need to order the BJU Text and the DIVE CD-Rom. If you don't want to print the student pages you can order them already printed.

Either edition you use is going to give you a good course. You will be able to find the 3rd edition used so it would cost you much less.