Menu

How do you use teaching company?

We used the Middle Ages set by Daileader this year. My 10,13, and 16 year olds all listened to the lectures. Our library had the audio version and my sons would listen as they did chores. They tended to work longer than I normal require at that time and the house got cleaner. It was great:). Educationally speaking I'm not sure how to make the best of them. Several of my sons would and still do tell me things that they learned from the lectures.

...not too seasoned on using TC courses. But this year for chemistry, we added the TC Chemistry course into our Apologia schedule. After reading module, watch corresponding TC lecture(s), we then proceeded with labs, study guide, and tests. My son felt like it really enriched and rounded out his study this year since the approach to chemistry really came from 2 different directions.

Next school year, I plan on adding selected TC American Classics lectures to our Lightning Lit American study. They line up pretty well together and I want to add a few books in the TC lectures that are not in the LL study - like Great Gatsby. It is not that LL is lacking in any way, it is more for a change of pace for us in the English arena. Adding some "umph," if you will.

I just bought TC: Shakespeare: Comedies, Histories, and Tragedies which I also plan on lining up with the LL Shakespeare. Have heard so much about the prof who teaches this TC course so we are looking foward to watching these.

In addition to rounding out a course, I think there are added benefits of learning to listen to a lecture, note taking opportunity, etc...

Susie

--Side note to those who are curriculum hunting right now: A gal on the vegsource 7 -12 swapboard (if i may mention it) whose youngest is graduating this spring and has several TC dvd sets she is selling. Do not know her nor am I making any $s on mention (haha). But I bought the Shakespeare from her. FYI.

Guest PamDinTN

I have used these courses both ways over the last few years. For Biology, I used Holt's Visualizing Life as my text and lined up the lectures to match, using Biology: The Science of Life and Understanding the Human Body: An Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology. This year for a high school Earth Science course, we watched The Nature of Earth: An Introduction to Geology and Understanding the Universe: An Introduction to Astronomy as our main course. I added in books and a used text I bought to supplement. My son prefers to use the lectures as the "spine" so they can be viewed in order. I vote for however it is easiest to align :) PamD

We are using the first half of The Foundations of Western Civilization (we'll use the second half next year) as a supplement to our Spielvogel and SWB reading. I assign the lectures after we have read about the topic. My younger daughter is just listening but my older daughter is taking notes as she watches. It has been a great addition to our study!

I am considering using the Shakespeare lectures for next year, if I have any money left after buying everything else on my list....

I try to pick things my son would like, or let him pick. Then we listen in the car for entertainment. This works well because we stop the tapes frequently to talk about them. If we were trying to listen as part of a class, then I would worry about how much we were getting done, whether we were off on rabbit trails, etc. In the car, with no schedule except "when we feel like it", we can discuss lots. It has turned out to be one of the best mum-input times we've had, so I feel we have made great use of them, but it probably isn't in the way you had in mind.

-Nan

We have been through many series in the past few years, and have just watched them (during lunchtime, which is the perfect span of time, 30 minutes, for us). Now that we are getting into high school, for grade 9 I plan to require note-taking on some of the lectures, followed by a written report. I'm thinking of that approach for some of the history lectures (Great Battles of the Ancient World), and some of the literature ones (Great Authors).

I believe we will still just watch and listen to the science series (Biology, Genetics), and the math (Number Theory, Calculus), since these push deeper into areas that we are less familiar with, compared to the humanities.

Just an idea!

My dd is currently doing a term paper on WWI. We are listening to the WWI lectures (very good, by the way) in the car. It provides lots of good time for discussion. We just shut off the lecture temporarily when she has questions. It is a pretty informal, yet highly educational activity. Without really trying, we listened to 6 hours already. This has worked much, much better than when we tried watching lectures. That just about put both of us to sleep!

Holly in N NV