Menu

Anyone else surprised at how small the type is in the 3rd grade horizons math?

I remember thinking that when we got to H3. H4 was better because they added instruction to the student, which added another page to most lessons, so they had a bit more white space to work with. Still, I found that some problems from here on out definitely need to be worked on scratch paper. (We like to print out graph paper from online to help keep columns neater).

Merry :-)

When using graph paper should I have him write the problems or do I need to do that the night before? We don't usually do ALL the problems that Horizons puts on a page but I could see him getting burnt out quickly on writing his problems. Although... this too may be a good thing because when we switch over to saxon after grade 6 of horizons he will have to be writing his own problems. Sorry, I am rambling lol.

I write out DS's problems just so we don't have burnout :tongue_smilie:. You can purchase some math graph paper at an office supply store. It is nice as one side is larger squares (I use that for initial teaching) and then the other side has the smaller squares.

I don't like scrap paper because it just seems to wind up everywhere. This year, we use a one subject, wide ruled, spiral bound notebook for all scrap paper type work (pre-tests in spelling, rough drafts in creative writing, etc.) I got them for .05 at the beginning of school sales. No hunting for scrap paper. No scrap paper blowing around. When the notebook is full, we toss it and start on a new one.