Menu

Looking for fun phonics games

I've looked into Happy Phonics and am on the fence about it. Are there any other phonics games to help reinforce phonics?

Two books I have used and liked:

Folder Games for Phonics

http://www.amazon.com/Folder-Games-Phonics-Lillian-Lieberman/dp/1878279858/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1302063422&sr=1-6

Games for Reading

http://www.amazon.com/Games-Reading-Playful-Ways-Child/dp/0394721497

They were at my library-so save some money. ;)

Great and used repeatedly.

Lakota

FWIW, we use Happy Phonics & it works great for us. I keep one eye on OPGTR, because I wasn't taught phonics & I have no idea what I'm doing, as far as when to introduce what & the HP instructions are a bit light on that. Monkey doesn't use OPGTR at all - it's purely reference at our house. But he does do HP & it's working, though reading isn't clicking the way that numbers do around here!

Thanks. It looks like there are some fun games that my DS will like to play.

Ds learned most of his phonics rules almost entirely with games and manipulatives. Many of the activities we used were available for free at the Florida Center for Reading Research. Look for the Student Center Activities (or something like that). Not all the activities were actual games, but they had a very game-like feel. We used word sliders, flip books, board games, letter dice, card games (a bit like the nonsense word game at Elizabeth's phonics site), phonogram and word sorts, etc. Ds LOVED phonics lessons. Seriously. So much that I didn't know whether to be proud or embarrassed. ;)

I didn't use those activities exactly as written, and I used Phonics Pathways as a spine. It was a lot of work to prep the activities, but ds is easily and constantly reading now, so it was worth it to me. :)

One other thing while we are on the subject of phonics games... Be sure to include lots of phonemic awareness games into the mix. I can't stress that enough. Not all kids need tons of reinforcement in this area to make phonics "stick," but many do, and it will do so much to help a strong reader too.