Menu

What are your favorite resources for using and scheduling Apologia Biology?

Guest Dulcimeramy

We're using Sonlight, because I wanted the schedule, the supply kits, and the microscope. My son used Apologia from Sonlight for General Science and likes the format.

I'll be blogging about it but he's not starting until next month.

I think Barb (Harmony Art) has something on her page about adding more living books and making the course more Charlotte Mason-ish.

I found it. Here are her links:

High School Science and Charlotte Mason

Squidoo Lens: Exploring Creation with Biology

The My Father's World lesson plans are absolutely wonderful.... They are written to the student, contain specific instructions for each and every day and even schedule in the multimedia CD.... they tell you what supplies you will need for each module, and instead of a monday-friday format...they are Day1, 2, 3, etc till the end of the year... so they know to do one day each day. If you don't do day 89 on Friday cause you took the day off, no biggie, just do day 89 on monday since they aren't labeled with days of the week..... They are the best we've used and I've used Donnayoung, sonlight, and another one from a free site....

We actually use redwagontutorials.com now, but I still have the MFW lesson plans and my son uses them, they correlate beautifully with the redwagon due dates!

Sandra

• 4 weeks later...
The My Father's World lesson plans are absolutely wonderful.... They are written to the student, contain specific instructions for each and every day and even schedule in the multimedia CD.... they tell you what supplies you will need for each module, and instead of a monday-friday format...they are Day1, 2, 3, etc till the end of the year... so they know to do one day each day. If you don't do day 89 on Friday cause you took the day off, no biggie, just do day 89 on monday since they aren't labeled with days of the week..... They are the best we've used and I've used Donnayoung, sonlight, and another one from a free site....

We actually use redwagontutorials.com now, but I still have the MFW lesson plans and my son uses them, they correlate beautifully with the redwagon due dates!

Sandra

I am also planning on ordering the prerecorded DVD from Red Wagon tutorials http://www.redwagontutorials.com/WelcomeV3.0.html

This doesn't say it comes with the schedule though so I may also get the one from MFW since we will be using this next year for HS so thanks for the info about their wonderful schedules. We only have tried the Saxon math schedules with MFW. This year we used Donna Young with general science and found her schedules helpful and they are free:001_smile:

What are you planning on doing for labs? I would like to maybe get together with some other homeschoolers for this....no frogs in my house please!!;)

I have no idea what I will do about labs. I am waiting till we are done with our school year. I am burning out and need a break before I look at books or plan. I use a VA. I was gifted Apologia so I will use that. My son prefers it to the secular sources we could use through the VA. He is an aspie and hates

experiments and is OCD about having clean hands. So, we can't do dissections. I will do other labs and have him keep a notebook. I was hoping to see some Blogs or something to help me vissualize how things could work for us. He isn't an easy student. He prefers to just read and soak info up or work on the computer.

Our VA won't buy anything religious. But, I can still use the text to plan everything and the VA will buy our lab supplies. I was thinking of setting up a science desk this upcoming year. My second son loves experiments. Right now we do them in the kitchen. I think I can make room for another table in there.

Have you looked at virtual dissection sites? I googled a few and found lots. frogguts.com is only $30 a year and I planning on that, as well. No mess, no super sharp tools in my house with small kidlets, no smell. Perfect!

• 2 weeks later...