Menu

WRTR Homeschoolers class - would you take it?

EmilyGF

I'm working on implementing WRTR but it frustrates me SO much! Yet, every time I investigate something else I don't like it.

There's an online homeschoolers "class" from the Spalding foundation. Has anyone taken it? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Emily

I'm working on implementing WRTR but it frustrates me SO much! Yet, every time I investigate something else I don't like it.

There's an online homeschoolers "class" from the Spalding foundation. Has anyone taken it? Would you recommend it?

Thanks,

Emily

Bump :)

May I ask where you saw it? I am in the Spalding.org website but I must be missing it.

In my case I have decided to go with a couple of the Teacher's Guides for now. I am very interested in implementing Spalding's method also. I want to start Malcolm from the beginning with Spalding so I am getting the K guide for him and grade 3 for my son Adrian. My little one already knows all his letters so I want to be prepared when the time comes. With Adrian I will be starting him with a review of the phonograms and speed through the spellling lists till we get to the grade 3 level work. The TG's are pricey but I have decided since my parents will be sending some money to buy something for the boys, I cannot think of a better way of investing it right now. I would have bought them either way though ;).

I am interested in finding out a little more about the online class if you could give me a link but I like the idea of having the TG's so will most likely stick with that.

Edited by Guest

It seems interesting, thank you :). The name of the file on the registration form says USA Course Enrollment. I wonder if it matters since this one is online (I am in Canada). The registration deadline is Jun 30th so I may look into it.

Thanks again,

I took the class this last fall, and even though I attended a Spalding school as a child and helped in class while my children were enrolled at the same school, I still found the class helpful in learning how to teach the Spalding method.

When I took the class, each session was recorded so we could watch it later, and others were allowed to enroll late and view the recorded sessions.

I found it much easier to simply attend the class "live" online. The recordings didn't allow for the interaction that live attendance allowed.

The class was an example of how Spalding is taught. The instructor explained the purpose and what she would teach, and then you became the student in her classroom and she modeled how to teach. It went a little more in depth that the book TWRTW went. The class was geared for grades K-3, with which I am already very comfortable. I look forward to the future class for upper elementary. I feel it would benefit me more.

The class did not teach how to teach different grades at the same time. I just have to combine my children for phonics review, adapting so the youngest can keep up and the oldest not be bored (I have a 1st, 3rd, 5th, and remedial 7th grades in my home). My third and fifth graders are well-matched in skills, so I pair them together. After phonics, I take turns teaching the various spelling levels, then writing, and then reading. When it is not their turn, each child has either independent work or silent reading. Sometimes they are dismissed temporarily to take a recess and keep younger siblings out of the way. Often, I can combine all the reading lessons and just require more of the older children.

I have probably given more information that you wanted, but I think the class is well worth taking. My husband's opinion is that the class is a bargain. Comparable Professional training classes online for him are often cost thousands of dollars. Spalding charges very little to teach you how to have literate, well-educated children.

Thanks for the replies. Jen - did you buy the teachers manuals for your kids' grades? Have they been helpful?

I'd like something easier to teach that WRTR but everything seems so lousy compared to it - and I've done a bunch of research. I was taught spelling in a slip-shod way and don't want my kids to have the same problem.

Emily

Thanks for the replies. Jen - did you buy the teachers manuals for your kids' grades? Have they been helpful?

I'd like something easier to teach that WRTR but everything seems so lousy compared to it - and I've done a bunch of research. I was taught spelling in a slip-shod way and don't want my kids to have the same problem.

Emily

Our situation is similar. I did not get any formal spelling that I can remember and then we moved back to Europe when I was starting grade 5 so I want to do this right, where my kids are concerned. I have been very impressed with Spalding's approach from what I have read in the WRTR but in this case I just want a little hand holding initially in order to ensure I am doing this correctly. Also, I want to determine if I am just going to be using it for spelling for my son Adrian and what my approach will be with my son Malcolm. I have HOP that I used with my son Adrian but am now considering starting Malcolm with Spalding from the beginning and not using anything that my interfere in any way. I wish I knew about Spalding when I was teaching Adrian to read. He knew his letter and sounds early also. The way I figure it is I have already spent the money on other LA programs and while the manuals are pricey compared to some other programs, if it helps me implement Spalding then it is well worth it.

Ellie is the Spalding expert here :). She will confirm that you do NOT need the teacher's guides, just the book (WRTR) and I agree with her. However, I still want/ need the teacher's guides personally :D. I you click on the teacher's guides in the website you will see links to check out the table of contents and a sample lesson (if you haven't checked them out already). This may help you get an idea of what you would be getting. There are also people on here that own TG's and would like to sell them because they have not used them so keep that in mind also. I am buying directly from the company. That's just me :tongue_smilie:. I don't do very well with used but if you want to check them out and are worried about the cost I am sure you can find some TG's on here at a lower price.

Edited by Guest