Menu

Sensory-friendly films (AMC Theaters/some cities...)

Robin posted this link in the weekly book thread, but I wanted to post it out on the regular board too in case you didn't see it there.

http://www.autism-society.org/get-in...riendly-films/

From part of the website info:

"AMC Theatres (AMC) and the Autism Society have teamed up to bring families affected by autism and other disabilities a special opportunity to enjoy their favorite films in a safe and accepting environment on a monthly basis with the "Sensory Friendly Films" program.

In order to provide a more accepting and comfortable setting for this unique audience, the movie auditoriums will have their lights brought up and the sound turned down, families will be able to bring in their own gluten-free, casein-free snacks, and no previews or advertisements will be shown before the movie. Additionally, audience members are welcome to get up and dance, walk, shout or sing - in other words, AMC’s “Silence is Golden®” policy will not be enforced unless the safety of the audience is questioned.

Did you go to one of our previous Sensory Friendly Flims? Tell us what you thought!

Tickets are $4-6 depending on location and can be purchased on the day of the event.

Upcoming Shows

April 30: Rio"

Pretty cool!

Edited by Stacia

This is fantastic.

I have battled our local AMC over one of their pre-show ads for over a year. It has flashing lights and babies crying, it is supposed to remind people to be quiet during the film but it is pain for my dd. The flashing lights trigger migraine symptoms so she has to 'duck and cover' when it comes on. If their corporation is moving to be sensory friendly maybe they will stop showing that ad. :001_smile:

Thanks Stacia.

I really wish they would do that here in Sacramento. The last time we went to a movie, we ended up sitting out in the foyer until the previews and commercials were over because my son couldn't stand it. I find it pretty annoying myself.

I posted this over the weekend on the special needs board. I'm hoping it will catch on so AMC will continue to offer it. When we have attended there is only a handful of people there. It's perfect for us. No previews, not too dark, not too loud and no stress if we make a little noise. It's just $5 in Northern Illinois.