Menu

4th Grader who's terrible at Cursive

My ds started working on cursive halfway through 2nd grade in private school using EPS. When he came home for 3rd we went to handwriting without tears because it wa recommended by a friend. We finished the 3rd grade book and got about halfway through cursive sucess by the end of the year. When we started with WWE in 4th grade, I just figured we'd do cursive in dictation as recommended by Ruth Beechick and others. Well, I took so painfully long that I just let him print. He is much faster at writing with print and now he vaguely remembers how to form his letters in cursive. It still takes him forever to do it. I keep wondering if we should have stuck with EPS? Should I do another cursive workbook or just give it up. If so, what should we use? Is there one for remediation? I feel like throwing in the towel.... Should I ? :confused:

I will be using Zaner Blozer with my youngers.

Edited by MyLittleBears

We've been having a sort of handwriting bootcamp here. I write a sentence in cursive, have him trace it and then oversee his letter formation while he writes it stopping him at every mistake. It's been ugly but I'm seeing progress. I have him write the sentence as dictation the next day, watching formation again. If your ds doesn't have any challenges he should remember his cursive in no time.

Thank you:)

We've been having a sort of handwriting bootcamp here. I write a sentence in cursive, have him trace it and then oversee his letter formation while he writes it stopping him at every mistake. It's been ugly but I'm seeing progress. I have him write the sentence as dictation the next day, watching formation again. If your ds doesn't have any challenges he should remember his cursive in no time.

Should I do another cursive workbook or just give it up. If so, what should we use? Is there one for remediation? I feel like throwing in the towel.... Should I ? :confused:

There might be some developmental thing here. Personally, I'd back-seat it while stressing hands on art (fun stuff). I had terrible TERRIBLE handwriting until I was 14, and then only so-so until I was in my 20s. I was a late bloomer in other aspects as well, with HW and spelling being my worst.

I was very worried about my 4th graders handwriting and was ready to throw in the towel! I got help from another homeschool mom who use to work in public schools. I first learned that my son's writing was not as bad as I thought. I also learned that I was expecting too much! Most boys at this age still struggle. She gave us exercises to improve his hand strength and just said to keep practicing 5 minutes a day. Boys are slower to learn and struggle with fine motor skills. My suggestion is to have someone else look at it and get a second opinion. If he is not forming letters correctly, work on that. Check to make sure pencil grip is correct. Work on strengthing hands too. HWT manuals have great instruction on pencil grip and correcting. Good luck! I am there with you and it is tough. I wouldn't give up unless it causes tears or hardship on your son and I would only take a small break like a week or two. I let my son choose how to write for dication and he always picks to print . . . . his printing has improved! :001_smile: