Menu

Nikon photographers - D90 or D7000 or neither?

I am the owner of a Nikon D40 that I got for Mother's Day several years ago - when the D40 and the D40x were first released. I had the standard 18-55 lens that I didn't care for, but never had the money to get a better lens. When I was looking for a DSLR camera, the only reason I selected the Nikon over a Canon was because of how it felt in my hand. I have been supremely happy with the Nikon.

So back in January something happened to my lens; it stopped rotating freely. Eventually, it became completely stuck. Not wanting to take it in to be looked at, I foolishly forced it to turn and consequently completely busted up the lens.

Last week, dh and I went to the camera store to have them look at it and sure enough, it is so busted it would cost more to fix than to get another lens. Anticipating this response, we began looking at other lenses. However, to my horror, when I would take a picture with my camera using one of the store's lenses, I noticed a "shifting" through the viewfinder and could hear a "click" after each shutter release. Noting this and expressing the concern to the employee (not knowing if it was the lens), he concluded that my actual camera has also been compromised. Due to the fees to clean and diagnose the problem, on top of the actual fixing of the problem, plus not getting the camera back for a minimum of 3 weeks AND needing a new lens, it was determined it would be cheaper, or at the very least the same price, to just get a new camera.

The camera that has replaced the D40 and D50 is the D3000 and D3100. However, they changed the body from the D40 so that those 2 cameras are not at all comfortable in my hand. So I tried the D90 with the 18-105 lens (before seeing the price tag) and was pleasantly surprised by how it felt in my hand and all of the upgrades it had to my D40. Then I saw the price. Dh and I committed to talking about it and have since decided we would make it work. A good camera is important and I used my D40 enough to justify it, using it to take photos of the kids and our family rather than going to a professional photographer etc...

In searching online for a D90 at a hopefully better price tag, my wandering eye happened upon the D7000. For $400 more the upgrades seem substantial. But it's $400 more and we are having to really swallow hard for the D90. Granted, from my D40, the D90 is a substantial upgrade. But I know that the D40 and D40x were almost immediately replaced with the D50 and then the Dsomethingelse (lol), so for a split second I hesitate about the D90, knowing the D7000 is the "supposed" replacement. But again, it's a hefty price tag. And the D90 makes me feel sick as it is.

Time, unfortunately, is of the essence. My daughter's 13th birthday is in 2 weeks, my ds's 3rd birthday is in 6 weeks and Easter is in between. A camera is going to be necessary.

Is the D7000 worth the extra $400? I know I would be very happy with the D90, but I also know I would be thinking in the back of my head that perhaps all of the additional upgrades of the D7000 would have been nice. Is there another option I'm not even considering? What would you do?

(mumbling)stupid wandering eye...

I ended up with the D3000. (My friend bought the D3100 a week later after playing with my camera.) I'd go D90, and then get the lenses you want (like a wide angle) but that's my personal preference. Oftentimes they'll offer a package deal. When I got my D3000 this fall, I bought the telefoto lens at the same time for $100 off. I think they're both nice cameras.

If you buy from Best Buy, as part of their warranty program they offer yearly cleanings. :)

Sorry to hear about your camera. Have you had the lens for long? I believe mine had a 5 year warranty on them. Something to check into (mfr warranty.) I bought the Nikon D70S back in 2005. I've been wanting to upgrade for a couple of years, but have not been seeing what I want from Nikon. The D90 is close, but I don't think it offers 100 ISO, which annoys me to no end!! It's one of the things I dislike about the D70S and refuse to buy another DSLR that doesn't offer that (plus I want a serious upgrade in megapixels.)

Also, if you are interested, I can post information on cleaning your own sensor. I did extensive research on this, and found a company that offers tutorial and the materials needed to do it on your own (for a fraction of the price of sending it to a Nikon camera cleaner person.) Yes, it technically voids your camera body warranty, but it's something you can do in your home in under a 1/2 hour instead of shipping it off somewhere for several weeks and possibly having your camera come back with specs still on the sensor.

OK, cameras. Here's my thoughts. The 16+ megapixels of the D7000 would be a serious temptation to me, lol, but the video functionality doesn't do anything for me, and that 100-6400 ISO has me drooling!! But if the video is what's turned your head, keep in mind you can get a HDFlip for $125 and still come out several hundred ahead if you bought the D90 and the D90 is a nice camera in it's own right. I consider myself a "serious hobbyist", shoot manually (not auto modes), and have had several people ask me to do their photos. So for ME, I would be leaning towards the D7000 because it would be a camera I wouldn't likely grow out of any time soon. I say ask yourself what you plan on doing with the camera. If it's to have handy to document your children growing up, vacations, that sort of thing, the D90 is going to be more than adequate. If, however, you are a serious hobbyist or plan to take your photography to a new level, then you may want to get a camera you can grow into.

I've had a Nikon D90 for over two years and have been exceedingly happy with it.

I love that I can shoot in a completely manual mode or fully automatic.

Image quality is amazing. Controls are very intuitive. And it's a fun camera to use :001_smile:

While the video capability isn't stellar, it's been plenty adequate for me and I use it often.

I've never used a D7000, so I can't comment on it.

For future reference, Nikon services its cameras and lenses. You send the equipment, the company sends a quote, and you decide if the cost is worth it.

Serious camera shops sometimes allow trials on cameras and lenses (for a fee). The shop may apply the rental fee to the purchase of new equipment.

If you purchased the D7000 what lens would you use? I’d buy the D90 and turn my thoughts toward lenses. :001_smile:

Edited by yucabird
paragraphs

I've had a Nikon D90 for over two years and have been exceedingly happy with it.

Image quality is amazing. Controls are very intuitive. And it's a fun camera to use :001_smile:

While the video capability isn't stellar, it's been plenty adequate for me and I use it often.

:iagree:I love my D90. I only use it to document my kids growing up, vacations and such, but I love it.

Check the date of purchase and the warranty on your lens. Nikkor lenses have a five year warranty if they are not gray market.

As for the camera body, consider this angle. The body you had lasted three or four years, right? Will you outgrow the capability of the 90 in the next three or four years? At that time, you'll likely be ready to/need to upgrade (electronic camera bodies do not have the sustainability of film bodies) and will purchase a camera with more features. If you think you'll push the limits of the camera (especially the need for really large prints beyond 20x24 inch) then you should consider the 7K. Over the course of four years you're only looking at $100 a year.

Another thing to consider is that the 7K is a newer body, and part of a newer line. The 90 is older (I've had mine for two years at least) and will likely be retired soon. Have you looked at used/refurbished? I've never purchased one myself, but I have friends who will only buy used from B&H and have great things to say about them. You may be able to get a good deal on a used 90 or 300S to give you some room for the purchase of a new lens to add to your collection.

You mentioned the 50 was a replacement for the 40, but I had a 50 for a year or so before the 40 was introduced. If I recall correctly, the 3K line came about when the 40 was retired. Interestingly, Nikon seemed to go through a period of time where there didn't apprear to be any logic or reason to their numbering/upgrading scheme. At least one that I could figure out. :) I wouldn't put too much focus on the product lines, but look for the features you'll really use the most. I have to say that even though the 90 is a great camera and I have two that I just love, the 7K is very tempting at its feature/price point too.

ETA: I've been doing some reading on some pro forums I belong to. There may be some quality issues with the 7K because I see a lot of people reporting problems. However, I can't say if it's significant or just the ones with problems are being exceptionally vocal. I prefer to check the paid pro forums for reviews and feedback before making a purchase because they are not populated by newbie enthusiasts who are learning to turn on a camera (and can't figure it out so it must be a product issue and not operator error). ;) I like to take advice from people who do know a thing or two about the product and put it through some rigorous real world testing for me. You may want to look into this further before making a decision. Good luck!

Edited by Stacie

For future reference, Nikon services its cameras and lenses. You send the equipment, the company sends a quote, and you decide if the cost is worth it.

Serious camera shops sometimes allow trials on cameras and lenses (for a fee). The shop may apply the rental fee to the purchase of new equipment.

If you purchased the D7000 what lens would you use? I’d buy the D90 and turn my thoughts toward lenses. :001_smile:

I would send my camera out except that the time frame before getting it back is not within the time I need it. I know that my local camera shop does not rent out their cameras or lenses (I have asked in the past). They also would not be able to repair in house for the extent of the damage to my lens and not knowing what happened to the camera itself. :glare:

Turning my thoughts toward the the lenses is a good thought. I'm looking into new, refurbished and new. Thanks!

Thanks for those remarks. They are helpful!

Sorry to hear about your camera. Have you had the lens for long? I believe mine had a 5 year warranty on them. Something to check into (mfr warranty.) I bought the Nikon D70S back in 2005. I've been wanting to upgrade for a couple of years, but have not been seeing what I want from Nikon. The D90 is close, but I don't think it offers 100 ISO, which annoys me to no end!! It's one of the things I dislike about the D70S and refuse to buy another DSLR that doesn't offer that (plus I want a serious upgrade in megapixels.)

Also, if you are interested, I can post information on cleaning your own sensor. I did extensive research on this, and found a company that offers tutorial and the materials needed to do it on your own (for a fraction of the price of sending it to a Nikon camera cleaner person.) Yes, it technically voids your camera body warranty, but it's something you can do in your home in under a 1/2 hour instead of shipping it off somewhere for several weeks and possibly having your camera come back with specs still on the sensor.

OK, cameras. Here's my thoughts. The 16+ megapixels of the D7000 would be a serious temptation to me, lol, but the video functionality doesn't do anything for me, and that 100-6400 ISO has me drooling!! But if the video is what's turned your head, keep in mind you can get a HDFlip for $125 and still come out several hundred ahead if you bought the D90 and the D90 is a nice camera in it's own right. I consider myself a "serious hobbyist", shoot manually (not auto modes), and have had several people ask me to do their photos. So for ME, I would be leaning towards the D7000 because it would be a camera I wouldn't likely grow out of any time soon. I say ask yourself what you plan on doing with the camera. If it's to have handy to document your children growing up, vacations, that sort of thing, the D90 is going to be more than adequate. If, however, you are a serious hobbyist or plan to take your photography to a new level, then you may want to get a camera you can grow into.

Thanks for all of those thoughts! I will say that the ISO of 100 in the D7000 was not lost on me; in fact it's one of the first things I noticed. The video portion is not much of an interest for the 7000 because the D90 has video capability that I'm sure I would be fine with. But there are also significant AF point sensor differences, with the 7000 having 39 points compared to the 11 in a D90. I also LOVE that there are dual memory card slots so that video can be stored on one, while photos are on another. Or vacation shots are on one while everyday happenings are on another etc. Just having a backup alone already there is nice, you know? But alas, the price tag is so hefty, even though I feel like it's a competitive price. We shall see...

ETA: I've been doing some reading on some pro forums I belong to. There may be some quality issues with the 7K because I see a lot of people reporting problems. However, I can't say if it's significant or just the ones with problems are being exceptionally vocal. I prefer to check the paid pro forums for reviews and feedback before making a purchase because they are not populated by newbie enthusiasts who are learning to turn on a camera (and can't figure it out so it must be a product issue and not operator error). ;) I like to take advice from people who do know a thing or two about the product and put it through some rigorous real world testing for me. You may want to look into this further before making a decision. Good luck!

Thanks for this. I haven't run into negative reviews yet, but I also didn't think about checking forums. I have looked at Ken Rockwell, dpreview - and did side by side comparisons, and read various reviews on other sites. I will look more into the problems you enlightened me to. Thanks!

I can't really speak from personal experience *with* the actual D90. Briefly, I was looking several years ago for a DSLR and a dear friend had the Pentax K10. I couldn't afford that, was familiar with Pentax because I had one "back in the day" that I loved, and decided on the K100, which I still have (going on 3 years now).

A couple of years ago, she upgraded hers to a D90 and LOVES it but now she's eyeballing the 7K. She's mentioned selling me her D90 because I've outgrown the K100, which I would buy from her in a heartbeat. She takes amazing pictures, the clarity even in low-light conditions is great and it's very user-friendly for the manual settings.

She's what I could consider a professional hobbiest when it comes to photography but I think the thing that's holding her back from getting the 7K is the price tag.

I don't know if that really helps you or not, though...

I went from a D40 to a D90 with an 18-200mm zoom. I LOVE my D90. The image quality is fantastic. I still have a lot to learn, but what this camera does all on its own is great. When I fiddle with it and use the different settings, I am usually surprised and pleased with the results. (poor results are due to operator ignorance, i'm afraid! :glare:)

I'm going to vote for the D90. Unless you are planning to go pro, it is all the camera you'll need.