Menu

Singapore K: Essentials vs Earlybird???

agst1967

She's talking about Singapore K programs to add to RS A. :) http://singaporemath.com

:svengo:Thank you, boscopup. You have helped me a lot today, and kept me from complete melt down. I am completely :scared: stressed out about picking a math program because I feel like I have to do it RIGHT NOW before he becomes bored and turned off because he's not being challenged.

:svengo:Thank you, boscopup. You have helped me a lot today, and kept me from complete melt down. I am completely :scared: stressed out about picking a math program because I feel like I have to do it RIGHT NOW before he becomes bored and turned off because he's not being challenged.

:lol: Don't worry!!! Seriously, he won't lose his love of math. He might just think about it on his own instead. I didn't do anything with my oldest at that age, and he just figured things out and would randomly tell me odd math facts. At 5, he went down the multiplication road... and learned negative numbers. I didn't start accelerating his math until this year in first grade. He accelerated his mental math on his own. His written math is still catching up (I am making him learn all the little details, since he just figures out basic big picture stuff on his own).

I purchased Earlybird first because I thought it looked more engaging. The short version of the story is that it ended up being a waste of money for us. Many of the activities in the workbook ended up being nothing more than cutting out pictures and then gluing them to the workbook page. My DD became very bored so we switched to Essential and have been MUCH happier.

Essential Math is more in line with what I thought Singapore would have been for a K program. It is straight forward, easy to teach, and really helps them get the concepts and relationships of numbers.

Essential = no frills but solid math

Thank you!!

That is exactly what I needed to know! My DD lothes cutting and pasting...of course that was after begging to cut and paste...then when she could, she didn't want to do it anymore!! (But that is whole other story!)

Alicia

We did not enjoy Earlybird either. We went through their Earlybird A book, which looked colorful and fun, but neither of us liked it. I haven't looked at their Essential program.

We did thoroughly enjoy RS A and half of B before switching to Singapore Primary Math.

I used (started is more accurate) EB with my oldest but we did not enjoy it at all. I have the rest of it sitting on the shelf unused. I'm using EM with my 4yo and we both really like it. He doesn't mind the lack of color at all because he likes the pages so much. We're almost finished (3/4 into EM B) and I think it will lead into 1A nicely. We'll take some time off to do Horizons K (just because he's young and Singapore moves fast) but I think he'd be all set for PM if he were older. I'm glad that the cheaper program is the one we prefer!

I am working through Essentials with my preKer this year. She is more of a K'er, though. ;) We did A and are now on B. It is a good, solid program and fits in very well with the SM concepts used in the higher levels. (At this point, I have used SM 1A - 4B with my boys.) I plan to move into 1A and 1B next year, when my K'er will magically turn into more of a first grader in spite of my best efforts to hold her back. ;)

About $30. :tongue_smilie:

Looking at the samples, Earlybird seemed more preschool-ish. Some have said EM was more like Primary Mathematics. I've only seen EM in person, but it looked like what I expect to see in a K math program.

Thank you for that info ... I've been looking at Singapore for my K daughter, too!