Menu

Ear thermometer and otoscope

Greetings,

I want to get an ear thermometer and also an otoscope to keep at home. The reason for the ear thermometer is that it is said to be more accurate than other types, never mind being easier to get a temperature from a baby.

However I have no idea of brands, prices, and places to get one. I searched last night for some and the price ranges are enormous. So, I figure I woudl ask around here if you have these items, what you can tell me about it, and any other info you can share.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

I don't know about the ear thermometer but I do have an otoscope. Basically an otoscope is just a pencil flashlight with cones to direct the light into the ear, so I think the cheaper ones would be ok. The main thing with using an otoscope is knowing what you're looking at. It takes some practice to know what is normal and what isn't. Though - if you're looking to see there is wax in there, that doesn't take much practice!

We have this ear thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Thermoscan-Thermometer-ExacTemp-Technology/dp/B001FWXKMM

I did a lot of research before buying one and this one got awesome reviews. It's been great!! I was tired of waking small kids in the middle of the night to use a rectal thermometer. This has been SOOO much easier. It's very accurate too. I found ours at Publix. We've had it for probably two years and it's still going strong.

We have this ear thermometer: http://www.amazon.com/Braun-Thermoscan-Thermometer-ExacTemp-Technology/dp/B001FWXKMM

I did a lot of research before buying one and this one got awesome reviews. It's been great!! I was tired of waking small kids in the middle of the night to use a rectal thermometer. This has been SOOO much easier. It's very accurate too. I found ours at Publix. We've had it for probably two years and it's still going strong.

Ugh! I am glad this one works for you, I hate it! It gives me up to 5 degree differences from ear to ear, 3 degree differences if I check within a few seconds, and the kids absolutely hate it, saying it hurts. I keep meaning to buy a different kind.

• 11 months later...
Ugh! I am glad this one works for you, I hate it! It gives me up to 5 degree differences from ear to ear, 3 degree differences if I check within a few seconds, and the kids absolutely hate it, saying it hurts. I keep meaning to buy a different kind.

I have to say, we have this one, and I don't feel like it's incredibly accurate either. It's ok and it's all we're using right now. I did just change the batteries after getting some really strange readings (I had a temp of 103 and felt absolutely FINE :tongue_smilie:) and it seems a little better. I usually do both ears and average it out.